Mamiya RZ67 or Hasselblad 500 C/M

photo_nerd

Hello All,

I'm thinking about purchasing a used medium format camera to use for portraits,

fine art and possibly some fashion work. After some research I've narrowed down

my choices to the RZ67 and the 500 C/M.

I'm looking for the camera that would produce the best all-around results for the

styles of photography I plan to shoot.

Any thoughts on which camera I should roll with?

I narrowed my choices to these two cameras as well. I chose the Hasselblad, because

I wanted to work in a square format for several special projects. I also believe that in

black and white the Hasselblad and Zeiss lenses are difficult to beat. I have been very

happy with the results. If I was looking for a more versatile camera, and was going to

shoot landscapes, I would probably choose the RZ67. I opted to buy a Mamiya 7II to

fill the needs not covered as well with the Hasselblad(landscapes, candids). Hope this

helps.

Randy

I've owned both, and would say that it depends on which format you want to use. 6x6

is lighter, and requires no orientation decisions. 6x7 gives you more negative space,

and the RZ has a rotating back, which is extraordinarily functional. The RZ can be

used handheld, especially with a grip, but it's heavy and probably not something you

want to travel with. But, as you say you're interested in portraits, fine art, and fashion,

that shouldn't be an issue.

As an aside, easily more fashion photographers use the RZ than the Hassy V system.

Portraiture and fine art, probably Hasselblad. You can do all of the above with either

system. The lenses for both are excellent, but different. Neither is 'better' than the

other, unless you choose two of the same focal length and then compare very specific

characteristics. Both are easily sharp enough for anything you want to do. Bokeh is

one very different characteristic between Zeiss and Mamiya. Zeiss' is more 'graphic,'

and Mamiya is more literal/simple.

Unless I'm mistaken there are 6x6 backs for the RZ so you can shoot square if you wish and still be able to shoot rectangle as well. Besides, unless your clients are OK with the square format, you will have to crop out the sides of the square anyways to fit the paper which will increase the magnification factor.

The RZ offers two 120 holders, one for 6 x 7 and one for 6 x 4.5. The RZ also offers 120/220 holders, one for 6 x 7 and one for 6 x 6. So, yep, you can do that and have the best of both worlds. I've only in the last 3 years gotten into the older RB67 Pro S game (the older stuff is being nearly given away). I enjoy the rectangular format. As mentioned, there is less cropping to fit paper and since I do mostly landscape ... it suits what I need. I've handled Hassies too, over time. They seem 'light' compared to the RB. My RB is seldom off a tripod, that can be a consideration. I know some folks use it for street shooting, but I don't have the shoulders I used to have. Let's not be blind to the allure of Hassies either. They have been around enticing us for decades. Mamiyas too, but they seem to be not perceived the same way. Look to the classic commentary such as, 'The Mamiya, the workhorse of the studio' as opposed to being the darling of creative photogs. Oh well. Again, they are tools designed to provide a device to make images. I've taken some absoulute crap with my Mamiyas, must be the camera :-( I think between the two systems, neither would disappoint. Just the ramblings of an old curmudgeon. Jim M.

Well, I own the Hasselblad 500 CM system and the RB67 system, and I shoot portraits and fashion, like you. One thing you have to consider is final output.

Everything seems to be built around the rectangle photograph--there are no known sources of archival pages (or even non-archival) in which to store square photographs. Square frames are few and far between and are usually only in 5X5" size--larger frames must be custom made (read: expensive). Although I love my Hasselblad, had I known this (esp. about the archival page deficit), I would not have purchased the system. I use the Hasselblad strictly for my fine art work (for myself) and not for clients. With clients, you will most likely have to crop, which means downsizing your negative to a 6X4.5" format. Also, very few people can successfully handhold the Hasselblad at shutter speeds under 1/125 of a second--so, in reality, it is a tripod camera just like the RZ67.

The RZ67 will give you the "perfect" format--4X5", 8X10", 16X20", 20X24", etc. -- all the easy-to-get frame sizes and portfolio page sizes. Unless your doing one of those ridiculous "scientific" tests, you will not notice a reduction in quality in the Mamiya lenses compared to the Hasselblad lenses. Besides, the bigger negative is going to give you better quality anyway. And, as mentioned above, if you want to shoot square for fine art purposes, the RZ67 has a square back available.

Final advice: RZ67 hands down.

both are great systems and i worked with both and i have bought an RZ! not only is the

negative larger, imho the RZ�s operation is easier. you have to turn a knob on the

hassy to cock the shutter, on the RZ you just push that lever, way quicker! with the

bellows focussing you can really get close to your subjects, focussing is also a joy

with the knobs on both sides of the camera. with the prism you have access to

metering and some automatic modes. the RZ is cheaper too.

Antonio,

I've BEEN looking!! I've even brought up the subject here on the forum twice and NO ONE has been able to tell me where to get archival plastic pages for 5X5" proofs (or 10X10"). So if YOU know where I can get them, PLEASE let me know! I've searched everywhere--thus my comments are valid so far as I know. If you know better, then please prove it and I will gladly shop there!

William, no idea where you can get square plastic pages (I am assuming you mean

the variety that would clip into a ring binder), never heard of them. But I have seen

lots of

archival square photo albums. If you must have plastic pages in a ring binder what's

wrong with just slipping in a square image printed on an uncut 8x10...

As to frames, and mats etc. I use Halbe frames, available square in any size you

want and mats I cut myself.

People have been shooting squares for decades.

As far as hand holding goes, I use my RZ hand held for about 99% of my shots. Thanks to the bright LA sun, I still get fast enough shutter speeds even when I down rate Pan F+ to iso 25. Furthermore, the RZ (I'm not sure about the RB models) has some kind of system that dampens the mirror slap thereby allowing slower shutter speeds. In the subways I'm forced down to 1/60 at f4.5; wide open for my 50mmULD. I can get sharp results as long as my focus is dead on which it at times can be a real pain in such dim light. I just picked up one of my bodies from a general cleaning and adjustment (getting ready for some massive shooting this summer) and have to go back so I'll ask Jimmy, my repair guy about this dampening feature since I'm kind of intrigued by it myself.

I rented a Hassey for a weekend and found it interesting but not any better than my c220. My c220 doesn't have the Polaroid back option but is very easy to use. The lens is superb. I sold off a Leica and bought an RZ. I already have the RB so the comparison I can make is that the RZ is built larger heavier than the Hasselblad but the 6x7 format has its use when you need it. My conclusion is get both.

That's a sound conclusion! ;-)<br><br>Though there are differences in quality between the several MF systems (Rollei, Mamiya, Hasselblad, Contax. Pentax even ;-)), they are small. Small enough not to have to worry about when trying to decide which one to pick.<br>Each brand, and system 'inside' that brand, has their peculiarities, their (relative) strong points and their weaker points.<br>For instance, you wouldn't want a TLR or rangefinder to do photomacrography.<br><br>The main difference between the Mamiya RB/RZ systems and the smaller 6x6 SLR systems like the Hasselblad, Rollei or Bronica, is that these 6x6s are smaller, easier to handle. But for the types of photography mentioned (portriat, fine art, fashion), it really does not matter much, if at all.<br><br>And then we are down to the final 'deciding factor' in decisions like this: personal preferences, likes and dislikes. What system has the biggest appeal (irrational or rational, doesn't matter which) to you?<br>Get that one.