The Forgotten Canon Accessory

Lou_Meluso

The Canon Cable Release 30. While listed in every vintage Canon Catalog, this

beautifully made accessory seems to have faded view and discussion. Other than

directions for it's use, I can't find a single word written about it. I cannot find, nor have I

ever seen one for sale. Hey, It's just a cloth cable release, right? I thought so too till I

recently happened on a brand new one with some other gear I purchaced.<div>00PdCX-45903584.jpg.f7552323afaacebbab494e31d42492fa.jpg</div>

Like many of you, over the years, I have used dozens of different types of cable releases made with many different types of materials. Some of these German, Swiss and Japanese releases are excellent and some not good. This Canon cable release, which was available in two lengths, is exquisite in its form and function. It is contructed of nicely machined aluminum. It feels subtantial in the hand. It is in its operation that the quality really stands out. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, in 40 years as a photographer, this is nicest cable release I have ever used! The smoothness is silky, the return spring feeds back the perfect level of pressure and the knurled lock ring feels as precise as the cameras it was made to compliment.<div>00PdCj-45905584.jpg.0ab60661d76ea3bc0d6089a52bf02c53.jpg</div>

For years I have seen this product and passed on it thinking this was just an overpriced OEM version of a simple device that was similar than no name cheaper brands. I was wrong. My question are: Did Canon make this themselves or farmed them out to a third party? Why are they so had to find?<div>00PdCw-45905684.jpg.d4b6002758e1fd1d50d98987f6a87943.jpg</div>

Thanks for this post, Louis.<p>I have used many cable releases, during the last 30 years, mainly for astrophotography.<br>Unfortunately, I have never had an opportunity to try out this particular Canon product. <p>It probably would have suited my own favourite forgotten Canon accessory.<div>00PdEn-45918084.jpg.eddb30ae9147e6d966d617208b9c6f65.jpg</div>

Hi Louis,

I was using my Canon Cable Release 30 today! I agree with you, itᄡs certainly the best release Iᄡve ever used too.

I think it fits the bill to say that " a thing of beauty is a joy forever", even if it is an often overlooked cable release!

all the best, Andy

I recently bought a Canon FT on eBay for $20 and realized that it could not meter in low light, so I went ahead and bought the booster! Very inconvenient since I have to close the viewfinder, meter and carry the shutter speed over to the camera body itself. However I'd say this is one of Canon's forgotten accessories.<div>00PeNO-46181684.jpg.9189f4c7eff2a0a0d38f7f952adbd24f.jpg</div>