Tripod for low work yet sturdy for 70-200 lens

kristen_springer

I've been searching the forum for a while, hoping to find a thread that would answer my

question -- and I'm sure it's here somewhere! - but no luck yet, so will ask for some

specific feedback.

I have a new Canon 70-200 lens that I'm lovin' except that my Velbon doesn't handle it

well. So I would like to move to a sturdier tripod, for not much more than $200 if

possible. I'm willing to search out something used if I can figure out what to look for.

The 70-200 at this time is the heaviest lens I have -- don't really anticipate (right now!)

having anything heavier in the future.

I'm only 5 foot 1, so I don't need a lot of height. But I do a fair amount of macro work

(with a macro lens) and need to get as low down as I can. So far the tripods I have

seen that would be a good fit for the 70-200 won't go very low at all.

And I do quite a bit of hiking with my gear, so something maybe under 6 pounds would

be great.

If there's a tripod (or combination) out there that would fit my needs, I sure would like to

hear about it!

Which Velbone you have?

I have Velbone 600RF http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/435542-REG/Velbon_SHERPA600RF_Sherpa_600RF_Tripod_Legs.html, it can take 8.8 lbs .. minimum height is 11.4".

This one may also be useful for you Bogen / Manfrotto 190XB Tripod Legs (Black) with 390RC2 Junior 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head (Quick Release)

Capacity: 11 lbs, Minimum Height 3.1" (without ball head)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/503113-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_190XB_390RC2_190XB_Tripod_Legs_with.html

I'm not sure what the current numbers would be, but my wife has a 3001 "pro" and 3030 head, which works well within that weight range, and holds up to a 70-300 lens, though it's too light for "big glass." The horizontal-mounting post gives it a lot of versatility, and the legs spread down to flat. Even without remounting the post, it can go fairly low with the legs splayed right. You should be aware that the "low angle adapter" on a Manfrotto replaces the column, and to use it you must remount the head on it. So any feature that makes it possible to avoid remounting the head is probably worth the extra few bucks. I think the 390RC2 Junior head mentioned above might be a little light for the job, but whatever replaces the 3030 would be adequate. I think that's the 808RC4, but haven't pored over the specs. You might also consider a ball head, though I think a good one might put you a little over budget.

Hers weighs just about 6 pounds, and I think you'd find the height about right.. It's well made and has held up very well to rough handling, but if you get one you should immediately remove the little clip on the leg that holds the tools (easy to lose), and check parts for looseness often. It's really easy to drop bits on the trail. I think there's a low angle adapter somewhere on a trail near Lake George, but I'll never know exactly where.....

For a cheaper solution, I would also mention Slik. I have a pro 400DX, which has a decent three way head, and independent legs, as well as a two section column. Set up right, it can get pretty close to a subect, though it's not quite as versatile as the Manfrotto, and not quite as sturdy. Still, it's well made, would hold your rig adequately, and it's only a shade over a hundred bucks. It's also about a pound lighter than the Manfrotto. I have been carrying mine around for a few years, tossing it in the back of cars, etc., and it's held up well. If you can afford it, you'll probably like the Manfrotto better, but the sSlik delivers very good "bang for the buck."

Hi Kristen,

There are several ways in which you can get your camera low and close to your macro subjects.

The Benbo which is mentioned by DN is an articulating tripod which can be set up in many variations. It will allow you to get the camera very low and to get the camera sloser to our subjects. By the way, don't confuse Benbo tripods with Benro. The Benbo line is made in England and is excellent. The Benro is made in China and has received mixed reviews.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BENBO-TREKKER-TRIPOD-LIKE-NEW-WITH-CARRY-CASE_W0QQitemZ180246423399QQihZ008QQcategoryZ30094QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Many models of the Giottos line of tripods also have that articulating capability. Giottos is made in Taiwan. I use an 8180 carbon Fiber Giottos which I love but which is no longer manufactured.

Aluminum Giottos:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Giottos-MT3-9370-Prof-Aluminum-Tripod-Best-in-Class-NEW_W0QQitemZ160244192646QQihZ006QQcategoryZ30094QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Carbon Fiber Giottos:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Giottos-Carbon-Fiber-Professional-Tripod-55-MT8340_W0QQitemZ110255413506QQihZ001QQcategoryZ30094QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There are many tripods such as the Manfrotto 3001P and 3021P which will allow you to reverse the center column and use the camera upside-down under the apex of the tripod.

New 3021P

http://cgi.ebay.com/MANFROTTO-Pro-Tripod-w-o-Head-model-3021BPro-NEW-NR_W0QQitemZ170221666411QQihZ007QQcategoryZ30095QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Additionally, most "good" tripods allow the legs to swing out at angles independently so that the camera/lens can be arranged in a very low position. The minimum height in this type of arrangement is dependent on the length of the center column.

Regarding weight, the carbon fiber type tripods are the lightest in weight but, are the most expensive. Aluminum tripods are usually the least expensive of any manufacturer's line and there are some manufacturers that offer other composite materials which are mid way between aluminum and carbon fiber.

There is a saying that you can only get two out of these three choices when selecting a tripod: inexpensive - sturdy - light. That is basically true but, you are lucky in that respect because of your short stature. Obviously, a shorter tripod will be lighter in weight than a longer tripod if all the other parameters are the same.

Heads are very important and the better tripods usually do not come with heads included. The exception would be if you are purchasing a used tripod and head.

I would recommend a ball head and, if possible, an Arca Compatible Quick release system. However, this might very well push you well over your budget since many of these heads would eat up the entire $200 you have allocated.

Whichever head you select, ensure that you do have a quick release system included. The Q.R. makes tripod use much more pleasant.

One of the things to check is the availability of a short center post. Some are two or even 3 pieces, others are a single piece and that can make it hard to spread the legs far enough. The other is to be sure the tripod has fully independent leg spread and and adjustable leg angles.

Most of your better tripods will have independent leg angle adjustments and contrary to many of the "ads" or deceptive descriptions, most professional tripods in this range don't have center bracing.

You may want to look at the Kirk and RRS sites for some ideas between the beanbag and the full size tripods with splayed legs.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/

http://reallyrightstuff.com/index.html

Just as an example, here's a Slik 400DX set up for full frame copying (50 mm. lens, 35 mm format). Spreading the legs independently gives a lot of possibilities for balance, even on bad terrain. Even with the hefty old F it's quite well balanced here. With the column shortened, you could splay the legs out further and get closer to the ground.<div>00PejW-46259584.jpg.4ec9243c55c4c97c06c61861b361a20a.jpg</div>

I ended up getting a deal on a Bogen 3001 "pro" and a 3030 head, and I'm really pleased with how solid it is. But I'm guessing there are even more variations of the 3001 available than I realized, and I don't see the capability for a horizontal arm on this, though there is a screw hole between 2 of the legs, maybe I can buy an arm that attaches there?

The center column does come out and reverse so the camera can be used upside down or at an angle from a very low point.

I am also curious because I saw a 6" center post for sale (the post on this is about 12") and it says it can be used when bringing the legs even lower. But the legs on this 3001Pro have 3 possible angles and I don't see that it can be spread any lower than where the current 12" is hitting the ground anyway. If that makes sense to anyone.

If Matthew or anyone else can give me any tips about how I can lower the camera even further on this model, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks for all the great feedback ... if this Bogen doesn't work out I've got a number of other options now!