Mirror Up Without Cable Release

Mamiya produced a twin cable release which first locked up the mirror then tripped the shutter. You do not need that to operate in mirror up but you do need one cable release.<BR><BR>

Depending on the lens, the mirror up mechanism is activated either by recognition of a cable release fitted or a separate lever.<BR><BR>

In this mode of operation, the mirror is locked up by pressing the normal shutter and the shutter is operated by the cable release.<BR><BR>

As far as I know, there is no way of operating in mirror lockup mode without a cable release.

To the best of my knowledge Steve is spot on. When you switch the lens to mirror up mode and press the trigger on the camera body it raises the mirror only. Then, in order to release the shutter you must use a cable release attached to the lens. I know of no other way to release the shutter in mirror up mode once the mirror has been raised.

- Randy

You can do it with a soft release, like <a href=http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtMSR.htm><u>this one</u></a>. But in that case I don't see the point in using the mirror lockup feature. The vibration induced by your hand tripping the shutter outweighs the mirror vibration you're trying to avoid.

Thank you all. Y'all have been very helpful. I know a cable release is not that

expensive. At the moment I have no money at all. I spent all of it buying my RB67,

lenses, and equipment to build my own darkroom. It is a matter of waiting for my next

pay check, but I wanted to buy some chemicals to process my B&W negatives first. I

guess I will just have to wait.

Once again, Thank you.

While this method negates the value of the cable release, you can in fact release lock the mirror up and release the shutter with no cable release at all.

To lock the mirror up, use the body release. To release the shutter, rotate the release lock back to the normal position and the shutter will fire.

You lose all of the anti vibration advantages in doing this but it can be used to release the shutter if desired.

Not all lenses have a knob. The latest ones can only be switched to lock-up mode by screwing a cable release into the socket. A stupid idea if you ask me, in fact it's the only thing I don't like about the RB67. If you're not careful you can remove the cable without turning the socket. It happened to me several times when I wasn't paying attention, so the camera remained in lock-up mode without my knowing about it.