24-105L

michael_lowe3

I have the 10-22 and 24-105 and they work very well together. I just got back from Alaska today. The wildlife shots were with the 100-400, but most all the other images were from the 24-105 with Hoya Pro 1 dmc polarizer. I love this lens. Below is a link to the pictures from Alaska. We were on the Kenai Penninsula (Homer and Seward).

Kenai

As Mr. Harrington said it's a great lens for a 5D. However on a crop lens 24 is 42mm equivilent. I had a wonderful 28-70 2.8L that, when I got digital I kept twisting the 28 side of the lens trying to make it go wider, so I traded it for a 17-40 4L which does go wide enough for me. I am not sure that that was a sensible move but If I go to a full frame the 17-40 it may pay off. I use fixed focus lenses to fill the gap between that and my 70-200L. If my intention were to stay with a crop camera, and I did not have the 17-40 I would probably buy the 17-55 2.8 IS just to keep from changing lenses so often as I do now. I do think the results that I have had with the 17-40 are outstanding. See below.<div>00PdF8-45919884.jpg.9ea01592d9c08818cf7ee6b33b7054c1.jpg</div>

I have a 24-105/4L for my 5D and it's a great lens, but it's kind of big and heavy and good as it is, the 50/1.4 is a lot sharper. So I guess what I'm saying is that you should make sure that it doesn't make your 300D a little frontheavy, that you're willing to carry it, and that you might not be better served if you're on a budget with a few small primes.

It is a great zoom though.

"If you were spending that money on the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, you might have reason to feel "wrong" and question yourself, but the 24-105 is very solid and very much worth the cost."

Mr. B what are you smokin? The 17-55 is one of the finest lenses in the Canon line up. Right now I can sell mine on Ebay for $100 more than I paid at B&H, go figure. Bad example.... ; )

Now to Michael's question. There are several capable lenses you could get for a lot less money to start. The 24-105 is a fine lens and although I don't consider any of this an investment, you'll certainly get more mileage out of it than you will out of any camera body.

You could consider a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4. It has superb image quality for under $300 but lacks IS. On your crop body it has similar focal range to the 24-105 on a FF. This is what I use on my 400D for a travel kit. I also carry a 70-300 IS for the travel kit. It's a great flexible combo for travel and the two lenses together can be had for what you'll pay for that 24-105. Just my 2 cents.

Michael - I know EXACTLY what you mean. I was in an indentical situation couple of years ago before a trip to the Canadian Rockies wanting the 24-105 and fighting the moral battle. Went round and round for weeks, and one day for no apparent reason really, took the plunge. Suffice to say not only was the lens FANTASTIC, but the pictures from the trip were really fabulous. That was my first brush with L'coholism. I would say that if you have money budgeted for it, go for it, and post some pictures here later. BTW I've been to Yellowstone several years ago (before the 24-105), and if I were to go again, this lens without question, will be part of my kit. Good luck!

Michael, you want moral support? ;-)

All I can tell you is that the 24-105 is a keeper -- best lens in my collection. It was a lot cheaper than my $400 28-135 (first EOS lens I ever bought), because I actually use it and will continue to use it. If you have any ambitions of owning one someday, you're better off getting it now than getting a "good/close enough" lens for right now and then buying the 24-105 later. Lenses don't really get much cheaper, unless they become obsolete (the exception being the period just after the release of a new model).

On the other hand, analysts are currently bullish on the US dollar, so if you're a Yank, you might have a bit more buying power this time next year.

Thanks everyone.

Dan, great Alaska pics! I especially liked the one with the sun shining through the

clouds. Well done.

I think I've finally gotten the courage to take the plunge thanks to you guys. If

anything, I guess I could always resell it since it seems to have a great resellability (if

that's even a word...)