Magnification differences: 2x or 3x, with 45 degree finders?

mark_tucker2

I apologize for this simple question. I am coming back to Hasselblad 202, after

years of digital, and I'm rusty.

In the old days, I had a 202 and 203, and there were two different 45 degree

prism finders for those bodies. One of the finders magnified 2x and the other

one magnified 3x. (Obviously, I'm looking for the 3x model).

One was called PM45; not sure the name of the other one.

Does anyone remember these model names, and their magnify number? Is there any

downside to the 3x model? Will be used on 202FA and 203FE.

Thanks.

Mark Tucker

http://www.marktucker.com

mark (at) mark tucker *dot* ^com^

Mark,<br><br>The older 45 degree finders (NC2, CdS meter prism, older PM and PME prisms) all have a viewfinder magnification of 3x.<br>The later PME45 and PM45 prisms have a slightly lower magnification of 2.5x.<br>All the 90 degree prism finders have an lower magnification still, of 2x.<br><br>The only reason why you might not want the higher/highest magnification is if you need glasses when using the finder, i.e. need more distance between your eye and the eypiece. The lower magnification makes it a bit easier to see the entire image still.

@ Q.G.:

Thanks for the response. The 45 finder that I just bought came on this 203FE. I know it must be later model, because it has the two identifying blue stripes on the finder itself.

And yes, I usually wear glasses when I shoot, so maybe the 2.5x magnification is right on the money for me.

I wish I knew the exact model of this blue striped 45 finder. I'm a sucker for the giant viewfinder image with Hasselblad, and I'd even sacrifice the edges/corners, to get it as large as possible.

Again, thank you.

Mark,<br><br>It sitting on a 203 FE, i'll assume the finder you have is a non-metered one.<br><br>If it looks exactly like <a href="http://www.hasselblad.com/products/v-system/viewfinders/pm45.aspx" target=_blank">this</a>, it is a PM45. If not, it must be a PM5. No other 45 degree non-metered prisms were made to fit the 200-series cameras and have the blue stripes.<br>The versions with meter are called PME45, and PME5 or PME51.

One last question: I have the diopter setting for this 45 Finder turned all the way in one direction. Wont' go any further. Still not tack tack sharp. Makes me curious about installing a diopter of some kind similar to this one on ebay:

http://tinyurl.com/5qurjp

Is there a chart somewhere that says, "OK, if your eyeglass prescription is ___, then you need to buy this Hasselblad diopter like ____".

Mark,<br><br>If it has an eyepiece with diopter setting, no meter, it must be a PM45 (as shown on the Hasselblad site). Right?<br>If not, it must have a meter, and is a PME45.<br>No other 45 degree prism has an adjustable eyepiece.<br><br>The diopter setting of the PM(E)45 ranges from -2 to +1. So if using glasses when viewing through the thing, you should to be able to find a good setting that works.<br><br>Anyway, because the eyepiece of the PM(E)45 is adjustable, they only sell two correction lenses that fit these finders: one that will change the range to 0 to -3 (cat.no. 3042467) and another that changes the range to -1.5 to -4.5 (cat.no. 3042469).<br><br>If it is not one of these two finders, the adjustable eyepiece you mention is a bit of a mystery ;-) But there are quite a few correction lenses for the other finders too. Which one to get depends on wat finder it is as well as on your glasses' prescription.<br><br>What prism do you have?

You were correct the other day, I think I have the PM45. It has no meter. The rubber eyepiece turns left and right, and the diopter changes. It has two blue stripes on the finder. It must the 2.5x one.

My eyeglass script is I think +3.25, which means, I can't see squat right in front of me. Everyone looks like Doris Day or Barbara Walters on television when they're that close; shot with that Softar diffusion filter.

It just bugs me that I've got that diopter cranked all the way over to one extreme. I want to have it in the middle and then duct tape it down in place.

I see ebay ads for Plus and Minus diopters. No idea which one i need for someone who can't see things up close.

Thank you.

- Mr. Magoo

Mark,<br><br>I don't think any other than the two correction lenses mentioned will fit the PME.<br><br>But you should not need one. Your eyeglasses already correct your eyesight, so a neutral setting on the eyepiece should provide good viewing.<br><br>But mind you, the distance the viewfinder image appears is not very long, but in the "comfort region" of about about 3 meters (10 ft). So if you can see well enough at that distance using your eyeglasses, you should be able to see a sharp viewing screen wih the eyepiece set to 0.<br>If not, you will need a correction lens. And new glasses ;-)<br><br>I made a mistake when i mentioned the strength of the cat.no. 3042467 correction lens before: the range is from 0 to +3, not -3.<br>The older catalogue numbers for these correction lenses are 42453 for the "-" lens, and 42450 for the "+" lens.<br>If you can't see things well up close, you will need the "+" lens. But you will know that.