Sigma 30mm the right choice?

nelson_sosa

Hello,

I have a Rebel XTi with the lens kit, and I also purchased a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens which I

like very much compared with the kit lens. I was thinking after reading the introduction to SLR

cameras that the Sigma 30mm would be a good lens,

Would this lens feel like a 30mm or like a 50mm on my Xti?

Also, I must confess that I am a little bit dissapointed with the Canon Rebel, I don't understand

why but I feel that I used to take better pictures in terms of composition with an old point and shoot

panasonic lumix with leica lenses than with the new Rebel,

I have some pics here at

Nelson Sosa if you want to take a look. Flickr tells you what machine you are

using.

Am I dissapointed of the SLR because of my lens choices? I feel like I'm carrying a lot of extra

weight and taking worst pictures.

All your comment will be appreciated, Thanks!

Nelson

It's a 30mm lens, so it's going to feel like a 30mm lens. Your 50mm will behave like a short telephoto, and the 30mm will provide a more "normal" feeling perspective. Did you get a kit lens with the XTi? If you have one, just set the zoom to 30mm for a sense of how that focal length will treat you. The reason you'd get something like the Sigma would be to enjoy its ability to work better in low light, and the ability to better isolate your subject from its background with a very shallow depth of field (should you use the lens wide open). It's a very sharp, pleasant lens to use... but it's not small or lightweight, in the scheme of things. I like mine a great deal, but in walk-around mode, I'm as often as not likely to have a zoom mounted. All depends what you're up to.

The Rebel XTi has a crop factor of 1.6, so multiply that by the mm rating of the lens to get what the equivalent "look" on a 35mm camera would be:<p>

30mm x 1.6 = 48 equivalent [where 50mm is a "normal" lens on a 35mm camera]<p>

50mm x 1.6 = 80 equivalent [a mild telephoto on a 35mm camera]<p>

That said, <b><i>any</b></i> camera can take wonderful or terrible photos; it's up to the photographer. You may be used to using a point-and-shoot, but you can also get used to using a SLR like the XTi.<p>

Consider that most likely, you've been using a point-and-shoot with a <b>zoom</b> lens, and now you're using a fixed-focal length lens. Zooms give you a wide choice of perspective compared to a single focal length. But many of what are considered the finest photographs of all time have been taken with single-focal-length lenses. You have to learn how to position yourself and the camera to taken advantage of a single-focal-length lens, whereas with a zoom you just change perspective by zooming.<p>

What counts is the <b>photos produced</b>, <i>not the equipment used</i>, although you might guess exactly the opposite by reading the postings on sites like this.

<p>

The XTi has a <i>much</i> greater range of possibilities in terms of image quality than any point-and-shoot. It'll be up to you to figure out how best to use your equipment to your advantage. Try not to be discouraged -- you're learning, and that's always a difficult, challenging, frustrating experience.<p>

Instead of a wider single-focal-length lens, you might consider a zoom, since you're coming from using exactly that type of lens. Although in terms of absolute "quality," prime lenses are considered superior, a zoom gives you incredible flexibility. Why not go into a camera shop and ask if you can attach an inexpensive zoom such as the 18-55 "kit" lens that people normally bought the XTi to your camera, and try it inside the shop to see if you might find that more to your liking and style of photography?<p>

Best of luck,<br>

Sal B.

With all due respect to the previous answers, let me try to simply answer the

question you asked.

If your frame of reference is 35mm film SLR cameras then yes, the 30mm lens will

feel very similar to the 50mm lens that you used on the film body. The 30mm lens

on the 1.6x cropped sensor DSLR provides very close to the same angle of view

that the familiar 50mm lens provided on film 35mm SLR bodies.

You have some interesting photos in your Flickr set.

Dan

Having reviewed about 30 or so of your photos, I am a little torn between saying, "given that those photos were taken with a couple of Panasonic point and shoot cameras why in the world would you want to join the SLR gang" vs. "heck, with your talent you may as well buy the top of the line Canon full frame SLR and the best L lenses you can afford". They really are great shots and yes I verified that the ones I looked at were taken with your Panasonic P&S cameras.

That being said, you have the 50mm and the kit lens? Anything else? I'm not so sure a 30mm would be my next choice. What is your budget? If you have nothing else for your Xti and you want to stick with primes for the time being (as opposed to a zoom like a 70-200 f/4 Canon, which would be a very nice choice for about $560 USD), then I'd suggest an 85mm f/1.8. Makes a nice portrait lens and a good companion for the 50 f/1.8 and does not overlap the kit lens. If you don't have the kit lens, then think about the new one, the 18-55 IS or spend a bunch more and get the 17-40 f/4.

If you do consider the Sigma, look also at the Canon 35mm f/2. Alot of folks on this board really seem to love it.

Last bit of advice and, looking at your photos I feel a little out of place giving this advice, but the learning curve on using an SLR is a great deal steeper than on a point and shoot. You have the talent now you just need to spend the time reading and experimenting with the camera and all of its settings and I look forward to the final product. Keep in mind that the P&S does alot of the work for you. The SLR is pretty much cooking from scratch.

Zoom is convieninet of course (I have the Tamron 17-50 2.8) although, Sigma 30 1.4 gives me different feeling of how I shoot especially in low lights situations. Though there is an overlap in those two lens, I am not prepared to get rid either one of them.

I normally use 17-50 when I go out as walkaround lens, then most of the time, Sigma 30 is in my XTI.

That is my personal preference only. Yours maybe different.

I agree with Jeff. After seeing some of your photographs, I can say that they are very good.

I'm not going to talk about the 30mm too much as everyone above has already answered. It may be time for your to venture out a little into the wide angle arena with a 10-22. You have great landscape opportunities, and may enjoy the wider perspective of all things. It's more challenging to shoot, however.

Dear Nelson,

Indeed your flickr page is filled with cool pictures so the photographer's eye does not seem to be the issue. I also think the Xti (400d) is not the issue, that camera is quite capable of making beautifull pictures.

That leaves the lenses and the skill with the camera. Starting with the first: you should be able to make nice pictures with the 50/1.8 as that lens has a pretty good image quality. The kitlens, if it is the non-IS version, is not too good. If the kitlens is the IS version than it is good enough for nice pictures. (You could of course always do better by buying a 17-40L -great colors-, a EF-s 17-55 -f2.8, IS- or similar quality lens.)

That leaves your skill with the camera. If you know how to play with aperture and depth of field, know how to change the auto focus to a single spot to single out your subject and you are able to do RAW conversions than that should also be o.k.

I do not own the Sigma 30/1.4 but it is on my "wanted list".

The ultra wide aperture combined with the natural angle on a crop body and the high image quality make it very attractive.

If these are the reasons for you to consider it than it's a good buy. However if your need is not fueled by a wish for a sharp ultrafast lens you should try to explore / explain in more detail what you need.

Hopefully my answer helps in your quest, regards,

Matthijs.

Thanks for all the comments and reviews of the pictures, you have been very helpful. I

must say that I have the kit lens with IS, but I think I'm not getting the results I was

expecting from the camera because of this lens. I really like the prime 50mm it is great

and very sharp. I have take some pictures with it and I love the DOF.

Now I will review all the lenses that you have suggested and I will have more

information for a better decision on what to buy.

You have all been very helpful with your comments. Thanks all again!