M8 and rangefinder accuracy

<i> When mounted on the M8, these lenses become 66/1 and 100/1.4, respectively.</i><P>

No, they don't. The 50mm will have the same angle of view as a 66mm would have on a film Leica, and the 75 will have the angle of view of a 100, but they do not become longer focal length lenses (with the commensurate effect on DOF). The DOF will, however, decrease somewhat because of the greater degree of enlargement needed from the smaller sensor.

That the Noctilux his hard to focus on a .72 finder is myth, in particular with its 1m minimum focus distance. For instance, a Bessa R2 will do fine with it. The 75mm Summilux is a completely different beast at .7m minimum focus with added focal length.

I recommend to play with http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html.

Also, have a look at the attached chart.

Best,

Roland.

I've never had problems focusing the Noctilux or 75 'lux on my 0.72 M7. However, I occasionally have difficulty focusing those lenses accurately in low light on lower-mag. bodies like the Hexar RF & M8; it's not a problem when shooting in daylight. Since I use the M8 mostly for "available darkness" shots of bands, etc., I've been using 1 of the HK-made 1.25x VF magnifiers as extra insurance.

Seth,

With thr so called "crop factor" the frame size is smaller, but the image size is the same. There is just less of it on the usable focal plane.

Once you arbitrarily change your definition of circle of confusion, you then change your acceptable depth of field..

Look-- a 50mm lens will project the same size image no matter how much of it you crop. But when you start enlarging thr image, the acceptable COF does change. However your range finder does not know any of this.

Jerry

<p><strong>Is the RF up to the task?</strong></p>

<p>Yes - just take a walk through Flickr. There's a vast amount of photographs showing that

the RF is sufficient to focus those lenses just fine. But whether any particular photographer

can focus those lenses is another question, and is mostly dependent on their eyesight.</p>