D200 & 300 focus issue

lisa h

Hi, I had a focus issue a few time with my D2oo but figured that it was specific

to that camera. Recently I have had the same issue w/ my D300. Basically, the

camera will sometimes stop auto-focusing; the red boxes won't light up & the

focus beep won't sound. When this has happened I check over all my settings

(make sure that the 'S' hasn't switched to 'C' mode) and I turn the camera off &

back on, plus remove the battery, but nothing seems to help except for waiting a

little while. When it most recently happened though, I took off the lens and

put on a different one & then everything worked fine. I then switched back to

the other lens & it was still working fine so I know that it wasn't an issue

with that first lens.

Any thoughts/ experiences on this?

Thanks,

Lisa

It sounds like the electronic contacts around the lens mount may be oxidized.

We have had a number of threads on cleaning those contacts. A lot of people use a Q tip with alcohol. It is not a good idea to use a pencil eraser. If you search in this forum, you should find a lot of discussions, but the following one is informative:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Ouxs

In particular, see the suggestion by Joseph Wisniewski.

Hi, yes based on my last experience it sounds like something to do with either the camera or lens contacts. Weird that it has happened with different bodies & lenses though. The recent experience was with the Nikkor 85 1.8 before I changed to the 17-55 2.8.

I'll check out that link.

Thank you.

I have had all of my lenses (& the bodies & flash heads) checked out by a Nikon Authorized Repair Center recently. The 17-55 had to be sent for repair but they said that everything else, including the 85 1.8 was fine! They did clean the 85 inside & out and when I had the issue recently it was my first time using the lens since it was cleaned. It must be the contacts on the body.

I had an issue a few weeks ago with the auto-focus assist beam on my SB-800 not working properly for a little while, then later in the night it was fine. Maybe that stems from the same (contact) issue...?