D300 and 64 bit vista HELP

jbsox

Jim any reason to go for the 64 bit version? If not you are way better off with the 32 bit version. If not installed do install the service pack - it may not help here but for many other problems.

If you have no special reason to go for Vista run XP :-)

I personally need the 64bit OS but I boot my old and proven XP all the time when I do not need the 64bit Vista.

BTW: Why should your operating system "read" your RAW files? Normally you use a dedicated image processing program like photoshop or lightroom etc. for image processing, printing ?

Vista 32, will even let me preview Nikon raw files, which XP wouldn't do. It too a while to get all the proper add ons download from Nikon. This is the first time I've heard anything about Vista 64 having problems with Nikon files. If you have a new computer stepping back to XP isn't always and option because on some of the new hardware there are only Vista drivers--none planned for XP.

Wayne is that hardware from a major computer company or a small garage sale item? I realize in this business (technical) logic does not always play a major role but it is hard to believe that this is so (except some notebooks) because professional users at least here on this end prefer XP. Rumors are that Vista is a second Windows ME and will become extinct soon.

The service pack was a big improvement and my installation of Vista 64 works actually very well for number crunching. I only use a few very special programs and for number crunching you can get away with not using all the hardware in your computer .-P So the general picture may be very different.

Vista will perhaps be useful in 2-3 years of development (= bug fixing by Microsoft and

others) if they don't dump it before that. If I were Microsoft I would start over from a

clean table, there is no disaster like Vista in their past if I'm frank. I found Vista (32)

unusable on my laptop. Crashed frequently and finally wouldn't boot.

Walter:

I heard that directly from people who should know at HP. They don't like the situation either as the majority of the complaints they have to deal with are about Vista, not their equipment. But Microsoft says support is going to end foe XP so anyone designing new systems, be they big dogs or little dogs, have to go along.

Jim, can you give us trouble shooters a runhdown of the whole process, of how you are trying to transfer the images from d300 to your system, and then how you are trying to open them up and look at them? Pls be as specific as possible. Its hard for me to visualize your process.

AP

OK I am now off the phone with HP. Vista 64 is not compatable with raw files and I was told Nikon will not make a patch. I also could not use spider 2, would not read it. If I didnt have my laptop I would have thought it was the cards. I am returning it might finally make switch to MAC

I used lightroom import, when I tried a box opened which stated it could not import because the files could not be read. I then tried windows to open said the same. When I tried JPEG it was not a problem.

Maybe its not really clear what you are doing. Here we just use a USB card reader from SanDisk/Walmart that plugs into our 64bit HP computer that runs XP 64 bit with 8 gigs of ram. We just copy the files on to the hard drive; whether its a raw file; a Hannah Montana video;a customers PDF; a jpeg or whatever. What are you expecting the OS to do with your "raw"files? raw files are as old as dirt. Each requires support to reveal how to read it. Raw files were around in the DOS era; its NOT the OS's requirement to know every raw variant.

My gut hunch is that you have two issues going on here. Issue no 1 is that the version of Lightroom you are running on the Vista 64 box cannot load the picture files, which I assume are Nikon raw *.NEF files.

Issue no 2 sounds like that your Windows Vista 64 bit OS does not know about *.NEF file type, and does not know what app to use as the default viewer to load that particular type file.

There might be a 3rd issue, if the Vista 64 bit OS cannot even read the picture folder on the camera card, that is, read it enough to get the basic file listing, file types, and attributes.

To GET AROUND these issues, here is a suggested work-around.

1. Convert the camera card media to CD or DVD disk media. On your laptop, COPY all the picture files from the camera card to a scratch folder on the laptop hard drive. Then burn a CD or DVD disk backup using your CD/DVD disk burner software. If possible, switch ON the function to "verify after write", so that the software will go back and compare the source folder to the DVD copy. If that passes OK, then you know that the data on the DVD disk is 100% duplicate of whats on the card.

2. On the Vista 64 bit box, connect to the WWW, and download Irfanview from WWW.IRFANVIEW.COM and then install it. Perhaps Irfanview will install and run OK on your Vista 64 box. Watch the install carefully, and make sure there are no errors. If there are no errors during install, then we can assume the install went OK. Then run it, and load up a simple graphics file, like a typical *.BMP or a *.TIF or a *.JPEG. If the program can load and run these OK, then I think we can assume irfanview will run OK on the 64 bit OK. If you start seeing lots of bad errors, then, of course, thats your sign that IV is not 64bit compatible.

3. Now load up that CD or DVD disk backup that you just made on the laptop. Load that into the Vista box CD or DVD disk drive. Then use the MyComputer tool to see if you can drill down into that folder and at least see a detailed listing of all the picture files. See if that works OK, or if you see any bad errors.

4. Now we want to associate Irfanview with the *.NEF file type. At this point, I am working on the assumption that the current version of Irfanview can load and view that particular version of Nikon NEF file you are playing with there. That may or may not be a good assumption, but we have to try and see. After we do the association, your Windows Vista 64 OS will use the Irfanview app to try and load that NEF file type.

Now, there in the CD/DVD picture file listing, do a right-click on one of those NEF files, and select OPEN WITH from the little menu. A window should pop up, showing you all kinds of apps to choose from. Find the icon for IRFANVIEW there, click on IRFANVIEW, then click OK. That tells Windows to use Irfanview everytime it tries to load an NEF.

5. Now COPY the picture file folder FROM the CD/DVD disk TO a scratch folder on the local hard drive. Make sure there are no errors when you do this copy. Just do a regular normal Windows drag-n-drop to copy the files over.

6. Now go into the picture files folder on the local hard drive, do a Right-Click on one of the NEF files, and select OPEN from the little menu. The Vista should now launch Irfanview and try to load up that NEF file. The Irfanview app does list NEF in its list of camera files, so we think this app will load an NEF file.

Alternatively, you can just launch Irfanview, by just clicking on its icon on the desktop, and then using the File Load function to select one of the NEF files from the scratch folder.

I dont know if this will solve your problem, and we are making some untested assumptions, but I think this approach will work, as long as the OS itself can literally handle an NEF file (at the low level).

If irfanview cant handle the NEF file at this point, you can re-do the "association" step explained in STEP 4 (above), and just pick a different graphics file app, one that you think will work with an NEF type file.

The gotcha is that Nikon NEF type file is really a proprietary type file format, not a widely accepted format like TIF or BMP or JPG.

If you want, try this out, and let us know if it did any good for you, or not.

AP

Whew..Thanks you for all the thoughts..

Kelly I have tried both the 15-1 card reader built into thr hard drive and the USB reader I have used in lightroom on my Sony laptop. Neither way works, A box comes up that says files did not import because they could not br read. I have ordered but not recieved CS3

Pete thank you for the info on Spider, I found out about spider then about my cards and kind of forgot about spider lol.

Alan wow lol, Ok ,I have the lastest lightroom ( 1.4) and your right they are Raw nef.

Your other 6 steps lost me somewhere around the second sentence ( my hair starting hurting)lol.

I was told by HP that some programs including nikons are not compatable with Vista 64.

I just paid over 2,200.00 for this computer if I have to go through all those steps ( maybe it just me , I am not that computer literate, honestly) Then I am really thinking about MAC. By the way I tried an exchange .. 32 instead of 64 , 3 kb ram instead of 4 ( 32 does nor support 4 KB) and somehow I owed them $500, more lol they told me they did not make this model anymore ??? I recieved it on Wednesday!

Again thank you all for your concern and help.

Thursday, March 08, 2007 8:24 AM by pixblog

Nikon RAW Codec Update

Nikon has posted an updated version of its RAW codec for Windows Vista. Nikon and Microsoft had received reports of compatibility issues that we initially addressed in a previous blog post.

The Fix

The updated codec corrects the incompatibility issues that were previously reported. NEF files that are tagged in Windows Vista using the new codec should be readable by third-party applications, such as Adobe� Photoshop� software. Files that had previously been tagged in the initial version of the codec should also now be readable by third-party applications once they have been tagged on a system with the updated codec installed.

I just found this on Windows digital memories expierence web site

In addition to the fix described above, there are a few other minor changes:

The download package is now correctly signed.

A memory leak has been fixed.

The installer checks OS version before installing, and does not install on the 64-bit version of Windows Vista

Thank You for all your suggestions. I have found out that lightroom Beta 2 supports 64 bits Raw . I am mixed bewtween being happy that at least for the next 30 days I can use it ( I have a wedding today.) and being upset that if they have it on the beta why not have it available for lightroom 1.4 now. Kelly thank you and the rest of you folks for your time and suggestions. If your ever in NH the beer or wine is on me lol.

Thank you again

Jim