which flash is for me in the 250-400 dollar range????

halil_selman_onsel

i really don't know which flash sould i buy in 250-400 dolar range, i read some

discussions and didn't come up with any decisions.

i have a k10d and two sunpak 383 and ebay triggers.

i shoot portraits.

i really want to be faster not to bore my models and i want to have great

exposures shortly.

i need a good af-assist lamp.

wireless is essential.

i use umbrellas or bouncers. (ceiling or the pocket bouncer if i have with me)

i read a lot about exposure problems of af540 which is not fine for me.

so i really don't know which one to buy, metz, sigma or pentax.

but still my heart is with pentax.

any recommendations???

many thanks

halil

I have two 540's. I really don't think the exposure issues people have with them is

the fault of the flash, but of the P-TTL system. I really only have issues when firing

direct flash indoors in P-TTL, which I rarely do. Bouncing and/or using a Fong Bong

works very well for me, and I love the flexability of the flash in 'Auto' and manual

modes. I can dial in exactly how much light I want based on aperture/shutter/iso or I

can go manual and set my power for full (1/1) down to 1/64 (that's 7 stops of manual

control).

Don't count on the built-in (optical) wireless system though. It comes in handy from

time to time, but I wouldn't roll onto a job expecting that to be my primary trigger.

Hi Halil,

I get good results with my old Metz, Braun and Osram SCA 300 flashes with plain adapter or SCA 372 (around $30-40 each flash used) **in manual** or if I want in automatic mode. The Osram 440 studio and one of my Metz 32 CT7 have build in slaves sensors. I adjust the light only once at the beginning for a portrait session with one flash on the Pentax flash grip (or with a cord off camera)

as main light bouncing to the ceiling and 20% forward and 1 or two flashes from the side for the shadows, The manual settings are around

ISO 200, 1/45-1/60 seconds and F 5.6-8 and the Pentax K20D in manual mode as well as the flashes. Manual lighting gives consistent results for me. But I only did 2 paid single portrait sessions so far more than 3 ours each with 15-20 persons and will use the same setup again in a few week in a normal office room with white walls. And, the client was pleased with the results.

Hi Halil: I just got a Promaster 7500EDF-PX for my K10D last week for $229. So far it has all the P-TTL features I need and is programmed to work with Pentax functions. I don't need wireless triggering, but the manual suggests it can be fired remotely by the on-camera flash.<p>One interesting feature is a second, smaller flash on the front of the body that serves as autofocus assist in dim light, red-eye reduction pre-flash and can even provide front fill-flash while you bounce the main flash off something.<p>I think this is a fine value in a matched P-TTL flash.

The thing I'm loving about the 540s we have is the high-speed sync. When I'm using it

as fill flash, and outside is so bright I've got the ISO down to 64 but I want my aperture

to stay pretty wide open, I need my shutter speed well over 180.

And to back up what matt said about the exposure problems in P-TTL... P-TTL, direct

flash, and something extremely reflective w/in view of the lens seems to be the

combination that causes the problems.

I like my Metz 48 AF-1 on the K20D, seems all i want it to do is there, nicer single button release for the bounce head (Compared to the SIgma EF 2 button stuff), plastic feel less hard and thus i trust i won't break the hotshoe on this one, on an EF-500 Super it eventually cracked off.

Electronically the Sigma flash did no disappoint either on a Canon 30D, just the build is flimsy.