Another.....which TLR ??

bsphotography

hey guy's,

been looking at TLR's lately and am pretty interested, i want something light,

low aperture f2.8 minimum, is there anything lower?? i also want it to be sharp

wide open?? so a good lens, i also would like a PC port for flash work.... and

finally good value... so i'm not afraid to spend money for what i want, but i

wouldent mind knowing the best value option if there are several... i also would

consider a 4x4 127 type TLR also, if they meet the requirements.... possibly as

well as, it would make a great birthday present for my girlfiend...

thanks guys, any info would be appreciated.... i have done some researching but

keep getting lost.... i did'nt realize there were so many of these beautiful

cameras...

<blockquote style="margin:15px 60px; font-style:italic;">i want something light, low aperture f2.8 minimum, is there anything lower?

</blockquote><p>

The fastest <abbr style="border-bottom: 1px blue dashed;" title="twin-lens reflex camera">TLR</abbr> lenses are f/2.8. For several <abbr style="border-bottom: 1px blue dashed;" title="single-lens reflex cameras">SLRs</abbr> (i.e., M645, Norita-66, Hasselblad...) there exist f/2 lenses, but nothing really faster. Welcome to medium format!

<br> 

<blockquote style="margin:15px 60px; font-style:italic;">i also want it to be sharp wide open?? so a good lens, i also would like a PC port for flash work.... and finally good value...

</blockquote><p>

If f/2.8 is a must and you don't want to spend a fortune (=Rolleiflex), an older Mamiya <abbr style="border-bottom: 1px blue dashed;" title="twin-lens reflex camera">TLR</abbr> (e.g., C33, C22, C220, or even a bargain C330) is hard to beat for value. They feature excellent, interchangeable (!) lenses, have flash sync (like almost all leaf shutter cameras), and their bellows-focusing allows a super-close minimum focus distance. Although they're well-designed, these are rather heavy and bulky cameras. So better check them out before buying one to see if they might too much camera for your girlfriend.

<p>

But why do you want to purchase a <abbr style="border-bottom: 1px blue dashed;" title="twin-lens reflex camera">TLR</abbr> for your significant other if you're the one who is interested in them?!

i alreayd have a I already have a Norita 66 which i got for the 80mm F2, i acctually wanted one for me and one for her thats why was thinking a 4x4 tlr for her and a 6x6 TLR for me.... i bought her a holga, she loves it, but is just getting into the whole technical side of it now, so i figure it's time for her to move up to a real camera, and i can see me never seeing my Norita unless i get her something soon.... ,so basiucally i want a TLR for the leaf shutter, and yes like many people love a shallow depth of field

i had a look and the Primo Jr looks awesome for 4x4 but i still dont know with the 6x6... i dont really want a Mamiya, they look a little too big and from what i could see no f2.8

so still unsure which one to look into....

the Rollei's look great , i would prefer a crank arm to a winding knob, but i can live without it...but Which Rollei? and also what about the Yashica's ??again which one? and do they have a 2.8 lens?

Tim

the 4x4 for the little lady is kind of funny. Actually the Rollei 4x4 was originally

marketed as a lady's Rollei. But as money isn't your problem the model Rollei you

want is the 2.8F. Get one in good condition and you will love it regardless of the minor

differences between newer and later versions or Schneider vs Zeiss lens. And if

money really isn't a problem get the brand new FX with up graded meter system.

The problem with getting a 127 camera for the lady is that there isn't much film

available. And speaking of film in 120 B&W, Delta 3200 is a great film at ei 1000. That

makes your camera pretty fast.

Dennis

<blockquote style="margin:15px 60px; font-style:italic;">basiucally i want a TLR for the leaf shutter

</blockquote><p>

There are many <abbr style="border-bottom: 1px blue dashed;" title="medium format">MF</abbr> <abbr style="border-bottom: 1px blue dashed;" title="single-lens reflex cameras">SLRs</abbr> with leaf shutters -- i.e., Bronica or Kowa... in addition to Rollei and Hasselblad, of course! I don't like the operation of <abbr style="border-bottom: 1px blue dashed;" title="twin-lens reflex cameras">TLRs</abbr> -- they have their place for some applications, but a rangefinder or <abbr style="border-bottom: 1px blue dashed;" title="single-lens reflex camera">SLR</abbr> is much more useful for everyday photography, in my humble opinion.

<br> 

<blockquote style="margin:15px 60px; font-style:italic;">i dont really want a Mamiya, they look a little too big and from what i could see no f2.8

</blockquote><p>

Uh, how about the 80mm f/2.8 standard lens...? And they aren't too big, I find regular Rolleicord-<abbr style="border-bottom: 1px blue dashed;" title="twin-lens reflex cameras">TLRs</abbr> a bit to lightweight and small to work comfortable with. The bulk of the cameras helps a lot in reducing camera shake with small shutter speeds.

<br> 

<blockquote style="margin:15px 60px; font-style:italic;">and also what about the Yashica's ??again which one? and do they have a 2.8 lens?

</blockquote><p>

No Yashica <abbr style="border-bottom: 1px blue dashed;" title="twin-lens reflex camera">TLR</abbr> has an f/2.8 lens.

hey guys

thanks for the info it's helped heaps....the reason for the 4x4 for my girlfriend was mainly i just think she will dig the smaller size (this has no reflection on anything else you dirty minded people might be thinking :-), and also get a kick out of using an old odd ball sized film.... it is a pain in the ass to get but, i guess just buy in bulk and freeze it....

So the Rollei's seem like my main option hey....i think the GX and even FX are a little out of my price range... but i dont mind shelling out a few hundred on a 2.8, is there really that little difference between the different lens makes on the various Rollei 2.8's??

Maybe i'll also take another look at the Mamiya's..... is there any one of those that would best suit me??

I know there are a bunch of other branded TLR's are any of them worth looking into??

i know the majoirty of the info i can find are only on Yashica's Rollei's and Mamiya's....

Tim

I have a Rolleiflex 2.8C, and I think it's just about ideal. Theres no meter. The meters on the old Rollei's are unreliable anyway, so you're probably better off without them. Mine has the Schneider lens. It's sharp as a tack. Prices for 2.8C's aren't too high and the camera's are extremely rugged. It's probably my favorite camera.

If you can give up the f/2.8 aperture then you could look at a 3.5F or a late model Rolleicord Vb. In this price range you could also get a Bronica SQ-A with an 80/2.8, a waist level finder and a 120 back. The bronica, with the waist level finder, is pretty light. The 80/2.8 S and PS lenses are both very nice. With the Bronica you also have the options of interchangeable lenses, finders, focusing screens and backs.

<blockquote style="margin:15px 60px; font-style:italic;">the reason for the 4x4 for my girlfriend was mainly i just think she will dig the smaller size

</blockquote><p>

Well, there are always the Agfa Flexilette and Bolsey C/C22 cameras if you want small <abbr style="border-bottom: 1px blue dashed;" title="twin-lens reflex cameras">TLRs</abbr>...

<br> 

<blockquote style="margin:15px 60px; font-style:italic;">is there any one of those that would best suit me??

</blockquote><p>

If you are indeed ready to spend a couple of hundred bucks, get one of the latest models (C330s or C330f and C220f). But any of the C330 (or C33) series should be fine and will cost a lot less than a Rollei. And make no mistake -- these are serious, professional-level cameras with excellent lenses (unlike the plethora of Rolleicord-copies cameras with three- or four-element lenses).

hmm spent the last 6 hours researching, and i really dont want another system... i already have a 1dMkII and a bunch of L series glass to keep me buying lenses, i guess i'm just after something simple, with a leaf shutter and fast f2.8 glass, and something a little different from what i have been using, i like the fact with the Rollei that i'm stuck with the one lens, it means i wont go out and buy more..... the size is great, and the looks are stunning.... i guess i just have to wait for a good value one to fall in my lap...

anyway thanks again for all you comments and helpful replies.... it's made it alot easier for me...

Tim

"very little DOF" is nice. :)"

But too little DOF is often a problem in low light. I find I stop down a couple of stops relative to 35mm gear when I shoot MF for similar DOF. I decided I'd generally just shoot 35mm and slower film under such circumstances.

If you really want control over DOF, try large format. Movements give you tremendous control.

For really good sharpness at f/2.8, you probably want a Rolleiflex. The 2.8C will be the most affordable at 3-4 hundred dollars or so, the 2.8D is the same camera with "EVS" coupled controls which are an acquired taste. The E and F models get significantly more expensive. All of these have equal optics, and come with either a Zeiss Planar or a Schneider Xenotar lens. The lenses are very comparable in performance, and you may get a slightly better deal on the Schneider version. The Rolleis are very well built, lightweight, compact and rugged and can be expected to give good service even at 50+ years old if in reasonable condition.

Maybe you should consult the lady who'll have to actually use the gear? Maybe she'd prefer a layout more like a Hasselblad or re-worked Kiev? Does she prefer TLRs?

Sure, the TLRs are light-weight, but you can always wear the strap around your neck and pull the camera downward as you shoot; this has worked well for me when I didn't have a tripod handy.

If you're going for the TLR, be sure to check the viewing lens specs. For example, the Yashica-Mat had 2.8 viewing lens, but 3.5 taking lens. Examples like this abound!

Hi Tim,

I shot for years and years with two Mamiya C330Fs. They were the epitome of a

workhorse. They literally saw thousands of frames of film each, dropped, beat and

not treated very well but still kept coming back for more. Quality was excellent. I

also agree with those who mention the Rollei. I would love to get my hands on one

that's in really good shape. They are truly a beautiful camera.

If you want something that doesn't do a bad job and can hold up to the rigors of

much use you might try the old Yashica D. My school use to hand those out to

those who didn't own a med.format of their own. They saw an amazing amount of

use and I saw a lot of great stuff come out of them. Absolutely a no bells and

whistles camera and you should be able to find one pretty cheap. I don't think they

had interchangeable lenses.

j

OK, neither of these options are a TLR, but both are small (the first one more so) and light, and with a very good lenses.

First up, a Certo Six folder. It's got a great unit focusing f2.8 Tessar lens, with a convenient 40.5mm filter thread. You could easily carry this around all day long. Just make sure the RF is in good condition (a relatively easy fix).

For something more modern, and somewhat more expensive, you could consider a Plaubel Makina 67.

Either should be very easy to hand-hold to quite low speeds.

I have a dozen different Yashica TLR's, including the 44, and a Mamiya C220. One thing I have found in when carrying, or shooting a medium format camera is to use a grip holder. It makes the camera feel lighter, and easier to use. I have found that it works whether the camera is a C330, Mamiya Uninersal, or RB67. Also, the ones that have a film winding knob, Yahica D, C220, are more dependable than those that have a film crank. The film cranks have been known to jam. The Minolta Autocord is another great camera.