Travel bag

nick_warrener

Hi all, I am about to go travelling and was wondering if anyone has any advice on

travel-camera bags.

I don't have too much equipment (camera and few lenses) so I don't want one of

those bulky huge things for carrying loads of gear.

I was looking into a lowepro Orion II or one of the Trekker series. My only concern

is whether the Orion can hold a tripod, or does it have to be strapped on somehow?

Does anyone have any recommendations of a light, small (kind of normal rucksack

size) camera bag?

Thanks, Nick.

Nick, the bag I use most often when I travel is the Lowepro MiniTrekker AW. The downside, it is a backpack, not the smallest or the easiest to work with but it does hold most of my gear and it is small enough to fit under an airplane seat.

Sometimes I travel with the Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW. Another nice bag but it is more limited in size. As far as a tripod, I carry that in my checked luggage when I travel.

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm going to take a Nikon D80 with a few lenses (once I have bought them) probably a 70-300 or something.

I don't want a shoulder/sling bag, it needs to be a rucksack as my normal travel gear is just as important as my camera gear, but I don't think it's very practical to take a normal rucksack and then stuff my D80 (in a separate camera bag) and lenses into it - with no room left over for anything else! That's why I got looking at the orion since it's half and half (small photographic equipment section plus normal storage space).

Thanks for the advice though, I guess it's just about getting down to the shops and trying them out!

Cheers, Nick.

I use a Lowepro Orion AW, which is a combination beltpack and detachable

backpack. When worn together it looks like a normal backpack, but the 2 sections

are clipped together. When you unclip them, the beltpack can be rotated around to

the front to access your camera gear. While the backpack portion is not large, it

can carry enough water bottles &/or jackets for me for a day's outing. Tripod is

carried underneath the beltpack by included straps.

You can just wear the beltpack by itself or the backpack portion alone, although I

suggest with not too much weight in the backpack when its alone as the support is

minimal in that configuration.

There is plenty of room in the beltpack. I carry all my gear in it which includes a

Canon D-rebel XT with 17-85 lens attached, and 10-22 and 75-300 zooms, along with

flash, filters, chargers, memory cards, etc. with no problem.

I still use my Lowepro Lowepro Rover AW for lots of small excursions. Decent compartments. Holds a tripod.

<p>

For bigger or smaller loads I use Domke bags. They are the easiest to travel with IMO. They aren't overbuilt, so they are easy to use and fit into tight spaces.

Thanks again. I am now considering the Lowe Pro Orion AW, Lowe Pro Orion II and Lowe pro Primus AW.

What would you say is the best and why?

The Orion II looks good, although I haven't really heard any reviews plus is it true it is virtually non-water resistant??(surely quite impractical for travelling - I'm going all over the place so need one that can withstand most types of weather!)

The primus also looks good but seems the more expensive one, plus heavier and larger??

Similarly, the Orion looks ok but no side pockets (like the Orion II) and also appears quite weighty.

Can anyone clarify which one's the heaviest, largest, waterproof etc?

Nick.