24-105 F4 users please

tdigi

No but I have the 24-70 on a 40D and I am now seriously considering switching to the 5D to get the most out of it. I guess its a similar scenario with the 40d with the 24-105mm. Also if you have the 5d you don't need to buy the 10-22 for $800 as long as 24mm is wide enough for you.

I use it on the 5D and it's excellent. For me it would not be such a favorite on a 40D,

where it would no longer have the wide end. That's a big part of what I love about it.

And for another $600 or so, you can add the 17-40 f/4, and have a super-wide zoom.

That one can be great fun too.

For a time I used 10~22+24~105IS as my walk-around kit on a 20D, and it worked really well provided the changeover point was not a problem. For me, 24~105 on its own would have been too limiting at the wide end on its own. I still use that combination from time to time on a 40D, but the 40D is mainly my long-lens body, and my current walk-around kit is 17~40, 24~105IS, 70~200/4IS on a 5D. That's a great combination of lenses, and fast enough for me since I can add in one of my fast primes if I need a fast lens - nothing that I do depends critically on having f/2.8 zooms, and I would not want the added weight and bulk. The 24~105 on its own is already a pretty versatile lens on FF. If I know I am going to be working in the 70 to 105 range, I tend to prefer the 70~200, which is stunningly good, but the 24~105 is no slouch, and if it's on the camera, it stays on. On FF, the 24~105 does have quite a bit of distortion, especially at the wide end, and also quite a bit of vignetting at or near full aperture at the wide end (the former also applies to 1.6-factor use, whereas the latter is largely masked out on 1.6-factor), but these are totally fixed by the new correction capabilities in DPP, with no significant price to pay in other respects.

I just got the 24-105 with my 5D and LOVE it. Prior to my 5D I was shooting with a 10D and used a 17-40 as my primary wide/normal walkaround lens. As Peter suggested, the 17-40 and the 24-105 would cover you very nicely for an f/4 wide/normal and normal/tele duo. IMO, you need the overlap in focal length range to maintain a bit of sanity.

I used the 24-105 on the 20D and it was a nice lens. The only issue was the distortion at 24mm, and CA. But the distortion & CA is easily corrected with the new DPP versions v3.2, v3.4. It takes sharp pictures and has a good IS system.

I have this lens for my 40D and like it a lot as my general purpose, all-around lens. A

lot of people say its not wide enough for a 40D, but it works fine for me. Maybe its

because I came from a 28-135 lens, so its actually wider than what I started with. The

IS works great, and I like the pictures I get out of it.

The 17-40 will be my next lens for my 40D but I really don't need to go very wide in

most cases, but I do need to have the option so I plan to pick one up probably in the

next few weeks.

As to the 24-105: I hear that the 24-105 is a great match with the 5D but I really

don't hear of many 40D users with it. Most seem to opt for the 24-70 2.8 which I like

a lot as well. I know its a bit long but it seems like it would be a great travel lens and

people lens in most any situation.

I know the one downside is its only f4 but I have fast primes when I really need

them.

I use the 24-105 F4 on my old 300D, and rarely take it off. It is a great walk-around lens with a broad range. I think the only issue you might have with the 24-105 on a 1.6 camera is that it won't go wide enough. Before buying it, I went back through my photos to see how often I shot with something wider than 24mm, and discovered it was a very rare occurance. IQ is great, the lens is relatively light weight. If you are OK with the 24mm (=38 on a 40D), it is hard to go wrong with this lens.

Like Clark,(above) I went through my photos and found I rarely went wider than 28mm, so I am seriously considering trading in my 17-40 toward purchase of the 24-105. I'm using a 40D (before that 20D) and find most of my work is in the 40-200mm range.

I have the 24-105 on my 40D (80% of the time) and love it. It is exceptionally sharp and the auto focus is super fast. VERY high build quality, yet not too big to lug around. I got the 10-22 to get the wider angles when needed, and put the 100-400 on top to get the long shots. For me, this set up is perfect. All of them take 77 mm filters which is nice to as I can share the Hoya Pro 1 CP/UV. If you put the 24-105 on your 40D, I am sure you would be very impressed. If you upgraded later, you could put the 24-105 on a 5D, and use the longer lenses on the 40D to get the extra length due to the 1.6x. This would make one heck of a two camera set up.

I use it with e EF 10-22 on a drebel XT. It makes a good two lens combination with plenty of reach.

Unless you are not into wideangle stuff, it is probably not wide enoughfor a single lens solution. I don't find the changeover point a problem, though I suspect it would be for shooting events.

"I have the 24-105 on my 40D (80% of the time) and love it. It is exceptionally sharp and the auto focus is super fast. VERY high build quality, yet not too big to lug around. I got the 10-22 to get the wider angles when needed, and put the 100-400 on top to get the long shots. For me, this set up is perfect. All of them take 77 mm filters..." I have this same set up for my 30D. Throw in a few decent primes - like the 28mm f1.8 - and you have a great kit.

You won't be disappointed either way. I use the 24-105 f/4L on both 5D and 40D bodies.

For landscape, architecture, and walk around - 5D. For street portraits and general short

tele work - 40D. If you already have a 40D body, you can add the 24-105 plus a 17-40, and

cover from 27 to 168 with two high quality lenses.

I own both the 17-40 4.0 L and the 24-105 4.0 L. They are both great on the 5D and 40D. I found that since I purchased the 24-105, I use it more often, just because it becomes a great allround lens on the 5D. I love my 5D, but I must say I am rather impressed by the 40D. The 40D was a huge step-up from my previous secondary body the 20D. I often look at my 5D now and wish I had the large LCD, sensor cleaning and frame per seconds that I get with the 40D. When shooting wide-angle, the 5D is fantastic, for wildlife etc. the 40D does the trick

Thanks all this is great advice. I am definitely getting this lens it more a question of

getting it with a 5D ( which makes it cheaper as well ) or just getting it now for my

40D. I too like many things about the 40D over the 5D ( minus the wide end ) and I

don't know if I really need another body right now.