Power Converters

killians red

My wife just came back from Radio Shack with a power converter to be able to

use her hair drier and curling iron while were on our trip of a lifetime to Poland

starting June 5th. This made me wonder how I am going to be able to recharge my

Nikon batteries when I get there. Reading here instruction manual it does not say

anything about any devises other than hair driers and heating elements. About all I

can gather from reading the enclosed data sheet is that Poland is a 220 Volt

supplier at 50 HZ. What advise can any tell me to keep my batteries charged up

for 15 days? Oh I am using the 120V 60hz that I get in Southern Illinois, USA.

1. Get a multi outlet strip. Plug this strip to the converter, and since there are several outlets, you can use different equipments on the strip.

2. Get a double battery charger so that you can charge 2 batteries at once, maximize the charging time.

Hair dryer/curling iron power requirements are different. You need a transformer for them, which is probably what you are calling a converter.

Your Nikon charger should work with 50/60hz and 120/220V. What you want is either a plug adapter to use with your existing plug, or the plug adapter for Poland that works with your charger and plugs directly into it.

Thank you Tiem.

I hope that what she just paid $34.00 for will work. I am aware of the two round prongs that are used in Europe compared to our flat parallel style here. My chargers are external types so that the camera will be in no danger from a direct connection. We are taking my wife?s 82-year-old father back for probably his last visit home. He left his homeland in late 1939 when captured and forced into a labor camp in Siberia. He still has family in several cities that we will visit. I think it will be a great photography trip.

Jrff that sounds very encourageing. Like I mentioned her instruction manual mentioned heating elements and nothing else. I guess the ladies want to look nice on this trip. If all I need is a plug that will allow a US standard fixture to be plugged into a round prong, I will be in good shape. Hopefully by the end of June I will have many shots to share on Photo.net

You may have problems with converters powering a hair dryer. Many will not support a KW of power. I know, having blown one to pieces a few years ago. The transformer is the safest, but too heavy. If you must take a dryer or curler with you, get a dual voltage one.