What is a good medium format camera and lens combination for fashion and portrait photography?

j_logan

Hello,

I am a hobbyist that has been shooting for about 6 ? 7 months now, mainly on

35mm film. I have been introduced to medium format by a friend and decided to

rent some equipment and try it out. I plan to shoot a few portraits, some fashion

photographs and "maybe" some landscape shots; however, I am not sure which

would be the best camera to use to experiment and get some good images.

Being that I live in NYC I have had the fortune of making a few friends that are

models, stylists, make-up artists, etc. who willing to help with the shoot on a pro

bono basis and I really want to have the best image quality possible. I understand

that it is the photographer and not the equipment that makes a good photo;

however, I feel that lighting, composition, etc. I can handle on my end. I just want

to make sure I?m using the best camera, film, etc. to ensure that I can create the

best image as possible in terms of color, sharpness, grain, etc.

After doing some research, here is what I have been thinking about getting so far:

Camera: Mamiya RZ67, Hasselblad 500 CM or Kiev88

Film: Kodak 160 NC or 100 UC

Lens: No idea . . .

As far as where I will be shooting, I will be doing some studio work and some

outdoor shots. The film format I will be using is 120 and I plan on using a tripod

for all of my shots. Which do you think would be the best camera/lens/film

combination for what I plan to do.

Please advise a novice in training. :)

Sincerely,

J

You can't beat an RZ for studio use as long as you are using a tripod! Lots of pros used the RZ pre-digital, the revolving back is great for portrait orientation and the lenses are all leaf shutter. Hasselblad is also great as long as you like square (but how many magazines are square?)

If you want to shoot handheld look at mamiya 645afd. I wouldn't bother with Hasselblad H1 or H2 (645 cameras) since they are overpriced and probably not great to buy into since the H3 is now an integrated system.

The Mamiya RZ67 and Hasselblad V systems are both good. The Rollei 6008 probably has the best and fastest lenses in medium format, has integrated metering (independent of the viewfinder unlike some systems), the fastest flash sync, but isn't the cheapest option (the best never is). Bronica SQ is cheap, but the company is dead. They will all give good results. If you are shooting outdoors, I'd recommend a leaf shutter system.

The Hasselblad H-series is now the industry 'standard,' but primarily as a platform for

digital backs. The primary MF cameras used in fashion over the past twenty years

were the Mamiya RZ67 and Pentax 67.

My advice would be toward the Mamiya. The Pentax is easier to handle, but it's not as

versatile, in that it doesn't have removable film magazines. And, if you're using a tripod,

it's easier to rotate an RZ's film back than the entire P67 camera. But, don't feel like

you HAVE to use a tripod with the RZ. Lots of major guys don't, and just use the grip

with or without a motor.

If i were you, i'd get an RZ/RZ Pro II, and just the 110mm lens. If you have specific

needs later (tele- or wide angle) you can weigh the cost of renting versus buying used

and potentially selling later, with little or no loss.

But, you will probably get 'better' and more consistent results if you shot with a digital

SLR.... Film is fantastic, and i prefer its look, but shooting medium format film as a

beginner, and going through the pains of waiting for film processing only to find that

your exposures were off/inconsistent and color temperatures are not what you

envisioned - not fun. And, now that Polaroid is out of the game, you can't really test as

easily as you could in the past. You may want to shoot negative film for a while, as

chromes have such small latitudes, and a half-stop can mean the difference between

Wow and Ick. If you do shoot chromes, learn about Clip Tests and find a good lab who

will work with you.

Hassies are neat, but still pricey (cheap Jim has lusted for 3 decades now) & square. Kievs mayhaps are best suited as wheel chocks. I use RB67 Pro S, but it's really happier on a tripod. The camera was bought used, but I'm not a pro. It will outlive me. If this is business in the future, then look at an RZ, any 6x7 huge negative is luscious. Think availabilty of doodads, lenses, parts and repair along with cost. I'll endure haragunes here, but I think you get the most for your buck with Mamiya. Lenses are good, relaibilty seems high and price is 'affordable', after a fashion. It's a big body tho, so maybe something lighter and holdable will be reccommended by others. There has never been a better time to buy MF gear, it's being tossed for digitial. Shovel up a load while you can. My 2.45 cents (inflation). Jim.

You can't go wrong with a 500 series 'Blad, the 80mm and the 150mm lenses. Later ong add a 50mm T* lens.

I love my 110 f/2 lens on my 2000FC/M but with the problems with parts for focal plane 'Blads you need to think long and hard before buying one.

Thanks for the advice; I really appreciate it! I think I'm going to go with the RZ Pro II. I forgot to mention that I was planning on renting this equipment and not buying. I think the revolving back and the 6x7 format sold me on it.

I'll be shooting with a DSLR as well (EOS 20D) just so I can have some images from the shoot in case the MF stuff doesn't come out the way I would have liked it.

Any thoughts on what the best type of film (both color and B&W) would be to use with the RZ for fashion/portraits?

Thanks again!

J

J.

Portra 160 NC or VC are good color films for people - stay away from the UC as it gets a little too intense color-wise.

The 500 CM Hassy with an 80, 150 and 250mm are a good choice. Totally manual camera, does not require friggin' batteries. I've got one and I'm trying to wear it out - haven't had much luck.

Can't say the same about an RZ67 simply because I detest anything that requires batteries, except maybe a light meter.

I use a RB 67 - much cheaper, both for lenses and body (pro S). They're built like a tank, no stinking batteries.

I'd stay away from focal plane shutters unless you're using something like a 10-40D Canon or better. Fire the Kiev and while they work OK, you want to look around to see what broke. They're noisy.

Fuji does.<br><br>Frank,<br><br>Though the camera does not require "friggin' " or "stinking batteries" the light meter you will need does.<br>There is no need to shy away from batteries. They have been tried and tested over a long period of time, and up to now appear to work rather well! ;-)

"Can't say the same about an RZ67 simply because I detest anything that requires

batteries, except maybe a light meter."

Funny how EVERY image in EVERY fashion magazine was shot with a camera that

requires batteries. How'd they manage that? Step forward, into the 1970s, friend!