London MF scanning

tom nb

I tried blue sky recently due to the price. Some of the scans were very lacking in shadow detail, my epson 4490 pulled out more and all were very contrasty while good film scans usually look fairly flat with a full range. Maybe they just put the scanner on auto.

I'd love to have the money to use people like metro, but ?40+ a scan is too much and they don't do mail order I don't think.

• 2 weeks later...

Rapid Eye on Leonard Street, a couple of doors up from the AOP. Friendly, Proffesional and reasonably priced. http://www.rapideye.uk.com/contact.html

(And they cater to some of the top advertising and fashion shooters in London)

I have hired darkrooms there, had c-type prints made by their excellent printers. When I shoot film, all my film proceesing is done by Eddy (the cleanest c41 process in town, unlike Metro's). They also run a black and white film processing machine. I have also used their scanner hire fascilities.

In short, I can't reccommend these people enough.

I am guessing that it is cheaper to do your own scanning at Rapid Eye, you can hire the scanner for an hour and do quite a few. Just do the retouching and colour work at home.

They will instruct you in the handling of the scanner if you haven't done any before. I think they have the latest Hasselblad (Imacon Flextight) scanner, so you get great scans...quickly.