nettar 515/16

I just bought a zeiss Nettar 515/16 recently .when i push my f/stop lever it goes

pass f22 ,was wondering if i have another stop like maby f32.also when i push

the other way its goes before 4.5 Camera is in great shape and everything works

fine.My thinking is I have 2 extra stops.

You probably do Danny, but just which ones they are is a bit of a guess of course.

A lot of these old lenses with no click stops do this, but the fact that it moves back from 4.5 doesn't mean you have a 3.5 lens, you can guarantee that!

Those old triplets perform at their best at F8-11, so that's where you should be shooting. If you stop right down F22, you may gain DOF but lose quality due to diffraction.

Tony

The shutters were made for other lenses. if your lens is f 4.5 opening any further has no effect. And like Tony said you don't want to use the upper end unless you absolutely have to. you just reduce your resolution. Again like, Tony said, the Magic is at f 8 to 11. Tessars are pretty good down to about f 5.6 . Now let's see the pictures.

I have the same thing on my various Nettars. It does indeed seem to stop down more

than f/22. I'm not sure if it was that way from the factory or if the ensuing decades have

made the lever more loose. They are still pretty sharp at f/16 and just below f/8.

Shoot some negative film and you'll be fine. The Nettars are fun cameras. Which lens

does your camera have? Novar? Tessar? Nettar? There were probably others too that

I'm not aware of.

Thanks for the info guys.I haven't got around to shoot it yet ,I also have the little brother 515 6.45 format same novar lens ,zeiss ikon shutter and stops.I'm debating which to bring on my colorado vacation next month. I'm torn between this 515/16 and my mid 50's olympus six III which i have the tin in back to switch from 6x6 or 6.45.