I am happy with the 24-105

freelance

A few days ago I posted a question about Canon 24-70 vs 24-105. I decided for the

second one as I was afraid of getting a soft copy of the first one (See verdict

Photozone and a recent case in this phorum). I am happy with the 24-105 as it is

quite sharp at F4 and the IS allows me to take decent pictures at 1/8 sec. (no

tripod). And excellent pictures at 1/15 and 5.6.

Of course, I am talking about motionless objects.<div>00PP6v-43341284.jpg.19ac771e714ea7291463cd932e747af5.jpg</div>

I would call it near perfect of a work horse if it had f2.8. Some folks complain of distortions and stuff, but I find for a general work horse of a lens that just works, it's worth every penny. Now with the recent purchase of a 17-55 f2.8 for the 40D, the 24-105 has a home on the 5D for a long time...or until the new 5D arrives anyway :o)

Jason

I have had a 24-105 for about six months and it has rarely come off my camera. For me it is the ideal "walking around" lens - good range, excellent IQ (if not quite as superb as the 24-70), and relatively light weight. What's not to like about this lens!

While I agree that the 24-105 s a great lens (I own it), I would not have hesitated to get the 24-70 - if that's what you wanted. To NOT buy the 24-70 because there have neen postings about its softness makes no sense. Every lens can have that issue and the 24-70 is known to be of the highest quality. Returns are so easy even over the internet that even if you had gotten a lemon, you could have easily exchanged it for a good copy.