Which lens for baseball game?

I have tickets for a Twins game next week at the Metrodome. Our seats are about

180' from home plate on the third base side. I'd like to get some full body shots of

batters. If I did the math correctly, my 300mm lens on my 40d should yield about

nine feet of verticle coverage at 180 feet. If I add my 1.4 extender, my coverage is

a bit over six feet. Does this sound about right? It would be nice to NOT have to

bring an assortment of lenses along. Outside of my 300mm f/4 and extender, the

other candidate I have is a 70-200 f/2.8. Thanks for any insights!

A lot of action will be on the shortstop side so, further than 180 ft so plan accordingly. You should be fine with 300 or 400 but you can miss a lot of action close to the fence (in both directions.)

But do they allow long lenses in the park? Ask before the game - some ballparks are very restrictive as to what the public can bring - no idea about the Metrodome. Some venues allow only lenses not exceeding a certain physical length, etc., and even the press gallery is restricted in some venues to the point that soon there will be a practologist on duty at each gate...

Your math sounds about right if you assume shooting in landscape orientation (you will get 50% more height in portrait orientation, obviously). Have you checked whether the Metrodome will let you bring in the lens? You may also want to think about what other shot you might aim for.

MIchael - I'm PRETTY sure that they have no restrictions. I read all I could find on their web site. They mention video cameras (allowed, but one can't video during the game), but make no mention of camera restrictions. We won't be parked too far from the stadium, so worse case, I'll end up walking it back to the car.

Off subject, but here's a lens calculator that I made using Excel. Download it if you wish. Drop a line if you find it handy.

Supports lenses from 14 to 300mm, APS-C, 1.3 and Full frame

www.moss-foto.com/excel/

You will have to copy and paste the link.

GM - Thanks for the link, I'll give it a try.

JH - Perfect! I remember seeing your shot in an earlier post. It was this shot I thought

about as I considered bringing some gear along to the game. My only concern is my

point of view, as I'll be a bit higher in the stands than you were when you took that

shot.

<p>Randy, don't be afraid to move away from your seat for the best angle. I'm not saying to take someone else's seat...</p>

<p>Walk down an isle, fire a few shots and move on. Arrive before the game starts, in time to capture players warming up and approaching the dugout etc.</p>

<p>More of my <a href="http://www.digitalrailroad.net/spo123/gpgs.aspx?pgid=13359985&e=0&p=0">Red Sox stock photos are here</a>, most made with the Canon 100-400 L and some with the 24-105 L IS.</p>