A few questions on using slow shutter speeds.

j_logan

Hi,

I?m a beginner and have a few questions about shutter speeds and medium format

film. I plan to do some portrait and fashion photography using a Mamiya RZ67

Pro II. I really want to get the finest grain and highest resolution possible. From

my understanding, slower film and shutter speeds help with this.

My questions are as follows:

-What is a good shutter speed to collect the most detail from my subject without

overexposing and ruining my shot?

-When does a slower shutter speed not make much of difference as far as image

quality (i.e. after 1/30 sharpness doesn?t improve and slower speeds are only need

to soak in more light to properly expose the picture, say in a night shot for

example)?

-Is it good practice to slow the shutter speed as far as my aperture would allow to

get a little more detail, or are there things I can do with the aperture to accomplish

this?

I plan to shoot in the 120 film format, on Kodak 160 NC for my color shots and Tri-

X 100 film for my B&W shots. I?ll be using ambient light only with no flash, and

will be using a tripod for all of my shots.

Thanks for your help!

J

I think you're confusing exposure with detail. Keeping the shutter open longer doesn't let more detail in, like it lets more light in for the exposure. If the lens is sharp at that aperture, it's going to be sharp no matter what shutter speed is used. Shutter speed is only varied in order to get the exposure right. The longer the shutter speed (assuming a constant aperture), the brighter the picture will be. The only exception I can think of would be the case of mirror slap or other vibrations that might cause slight blurring. Assuming you're on a tripod and vibrations aren't an issue, any shutter speed will be the same sharpness as the next.

-Kelly

I would recommend you read a book to understand exposure (for free at Barnes at Nobel with a good coffee).

Then shoot:

- f16 (unless you want different for creative reason).

- shutter speed as needed per your meter (you may need to get one or use the sunny16)

- Tmax 100

- Develop with Xtol 60/40 with distilled water

- Scan with a Coolscan 9000 or better

From last weekend:

http://shutterclick.smugmug.com/gallery/4811519_F9MBv#286378736_Sqezo-X3-LB