Sensor cleaning... (and what else ?)

Hello

I am planning to get the sensor of my 400D cleaned from a Canon Service Center.

Apart from that, I have heard a lot of people saying that they got their

cameras/lenses 'caliberated'. I have no idea what it means.

Can anyone please explain it to me ? And is it worth getting that caliberation

done ?

Regards,

Aalok

Unless you are having an issue with front or back focusing, you do not need to be worried about it. If you are wondering if you could have an issue with front or back focusing then you don't. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

What I mean is, if you had a problem you would know it. In five years, 5 cameras, 100,000+ frames, 10+ lens, have yet to have one calibrated and never had a camera sent for a cleaning. Those tech are paid for their production and I do not trust a one to touch my gear if I have a choice. I had a lens sent to be cleaned and lubed (buy a certified dealer) because the zoom ring had gotten stiff over time. It came back with the zoom ring OK, but there was white lint on the inside elements. I know it would not affect the images but I was still rather ticked about it.

All I am saying in a around about way it that...if it need to be repaired by all means send it in. For normal and routine maintenance (like a car), learn to take care of it your self. I am not beating up service departments, heck my entire professional career is in service.

Jason

>>>"Can anyone please explain it to me ? And is it worth getting that caliberation done ?"<<<

Sorry if I lost the scope of your post with my little rant.

The calibration basicly if for the auto focus. At times it can get out of wack and the calibration is to set the lens so that it will focus at the point that the camera is telling it too. It is so that the mechanical portion of the lens is in sync with the "electronic" calculation used to determine where focus is.

So, as long as your lens is focusing were it should be, then all is well in that department.

Jason

Sensor cleaning = Mostly, I use a Giotto blower. If gets too dirty and the blower doesn't clean it well enough I go to plan B. I wrap a Pec Pad around a square edge 15mm palette knife and moisten the pad with a few drops of Eclipse fluid. One or two passes across the sensor and it's good as new.

Absolutely, get a blower. That's your first cleaning option. Everything else you get for sensor

cleaning is a result of what the blower doesn't get......

Also, if you have the luxury, keep the same body/lens combo on and don't take the lens off

unless really necessary. I have four bodies, each with pretty-much a dedicated lens. I very

rarely have need to take a lens off. But when I do, I exercise extreme caution so as to not

introduce dust to the sensor. And I always use my rocket blower prior to putting back on a

lens.

Unless your lens is sealed, and doesn't "grow" when focusing or zooming, you are pumping non-sterile air in every time you turn something. Some dirty air will *always* get in. Even point & shoots without a removable lens get dirt on the sensor. Plus, all cameras come pre-equipped with Japanese dust built right in - except for the ones that come with German, Chinese or Korean dust built in.:)

That's not to say you shouldn't use some caution about where & when you swap lenses. Caution can reduce the issue, but as Bill said, "get a blower. That's your first cleaning option."

After that I would recommend a nylon brush with canned air charger, as it is less likely to cause an permanent issue with your sensor. Wet methods should be the last thing you use, but others go straight to it without first trying a less physical method. Whatever you use, they all work, and they all have their limitations.

There is a ton of good (and some quite not so good) information on the net. Google is your friend.

<i>"I have no option ..." You have the option to do it yourself and save time and money.</i>

<br>

<br>

pssst...the Canon service centre here (in Mississauga, ON) does it for free, but they don't advertise it ;)

<br>

But it's such a hassle sending it in and having to wait for weeks at a time.

<br>

<br>

By the way, I think I've read somewhere about a camera that generates a positive pressure in the body with fine filtered air. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or was that a dream I had?