Lens for travel

dave_raines

First the question, then the background, then the question restated.

I'm going to be traveling all of next year (Russia, China, SE Asia, India [if I

don't get too distracted before then]), and I'm trying to decide what lens(if

any) I should buy.

A bit about me: I'm about as cheap as a photographer can get. I have a Nikon

D50, which I use mostly with my old Nikon 28-80 G (the old cheapest kit lens

from the film days), not very wide or fast, but it's always worked well enough

for me. I also have the 50mm f1.8.

I've basically always refused to buy lenses unless I they clearly let me do

something I couldn't before. (wouldn't even spring for the 18-55 digital kit

lens with my d50). I work in the summers as the photographer at a youth camp,

that's most of my photography, and taking pictures of kids I never really miss

not having anything wide. I finally bought the 50mm because it let me shoot

indoors, it's a bad length, but with practice you can work around it.

So real question is, do you think it's worthwhile for me to buy a lens before my

trip, something wider (maybe the nikon 18-55VR, or the 3rd party wide angle

zooms (the nikon 12-24 is out of my reach), or maybe just a fast prime that's

wider than the 50mm (sigma 30mm 1.4, nikon 24 2.8, nikon 35 2, whatever). My

friend who I'm traveling with has the nikon kit 18-55 and 55-200. So I feel no

need to have lenses to cover a range, that's his job. What I'm really looking

for is a good walk around lens for traveling (and I'm going light, so I'm kind

of looking for something that will be the only lens I'm going to take).

Anyone who's traveled more than me have a suggestion as to what I'm really going

to want out there? Should I get something new and good, or just stick with my

old reliable, cheapo combo?

Dave, if you like what you have, and it's always worked for you, why change?

Me, I would want something wider but only because it fits my shooting style. If you are thinking of a wider lens, consider the Tokina 12-24 or Sigma 10-20. Both are far less expensive than the Nikon 12-24.

Another option, think about the new Nikon 16-85VR or, for about the same price, the 18-200VR. Both are handy for all around travel lenses.

Coming up with some kind of budget would really help.

Get the 18-70 if nothing else. I've used that all around the world. The 18-200 if you can stand the slow speed at the long end. I have a glob of dust in my 18-70 that affects my images, so I'm either going to send it in for a CLA, buy a new one or get a 18-200 just for kicks.

The 18-55 doesn't have enough reach. Are you ready to deal with 2 lenses while traveling that much? You will need a sensor cleaning setup.

You could check

www.ken.com

and see what is available: i.e., the AF-S 18-135mm DX Nikkor would make one lens on the camera a good thing to take on your travels. Nothing to change, less chance of getting dust in the camera.

It's hard coming up with a budget for this sort of thing because it's combined with so many other things I need to buy, e.g. I could get a more expensive lens, but then I'd have to get a cheaper mp3 player, or that sort of thing.

Do you guys really think that dust in the camera is a problem? I've had my camera for years and changed lenses hundreds of times and can't see any dust on pictures (the mirror, of course, is covered in dust). I know dust will be even worse while I'm traveling, but is this something I should be concerned about?

Dave, the only problem I see is you are planning on traveling for a year. That's a long time to go without any cleaning, assuming you use your camera pretty frequently. At the very least, I would pack a large blower.

When I was in Europe last year, I picked up some sensor dust. Yeah, it was fixed in PS but it took many hours with the Healing Brush. It would have been nice to avoid the additional processing time.

Definitely good advice. I'd never really thought about dust before. Probably not something most people think about until they have a problem with it (and traveling in asia is not when you want that to be). At least a blower in my kit seems like a good preventative step. Thanks Bruce!

I'm a canon shooter, so i really only have general advice and not nikon-specif advice. Your 50mm is a good keeper for its speed, and the zoom is a plus for its scope, but honestly it all comes down to your shooting style and how serious you are about image quality. If you're juggling expenses between other high dollar items and a new lens, you will most likely not be disappointed spending the extra few dollars on a more satisfying piece of glass. I have never regretted buying better glass, even though it has deferred other comforts! Typically, too, you'll sacrifice image quality -how MUCH quality is debatable - on the lower end zooms, and would do better in terms of imaging to stick with a prime in the same price range you are considering. That's been my real-world experience, at least. Hope that helps! :)