"Positioning" Oneself at Wedding Venues

ray_tribendis

I am just starting to shoot weddings. Probably the best way for me to learn positioning,

for example, at the ceremony and the reception, would be for me to assist another

photographer. I realize that each wedding venue will vary greatly. What I am looking

for is general information/guidance. My question is, are there any books or online

resources that will help me? Thank you.

Ray

Ray,

Positioning is so dependent on the venue and their rules it's virtually impossible to give an answer to this question, however, when given the option, I would rate catching the bride's face as the single most important POV in the ceremony. The day is all about her, she's going to be the most beautiful subject, and she's more likely to show emotion. So whatever postion maximizes that chance is the one I'd go for, if I couldn't move around.

Paul

...plus you may have to keep in mind that if you climb up behind the minister to shoot the bride's face, the video guy/gal is going to have fits with you *right* there in the middle of the wedding. You need to find out from the bride how much 'coverage' she wants before the ceremony, and then find out from the minister what is good and what is not so good. [some images may be re-staged after the ceremony....]

There are so many possible answers to your question. we typically try to discreetly

position ourselves on the right side of the altar (either in the front or off to the side).

At the very least we want to be able to see the bride's face, we rarely want to shoot

her back. Also, depending on how many photographers are shooting the positioning

may change. You may be able to keep one as a permanent fixture in the front in

order to capture the B&G, lighting of the candle, kiss, ring placement, facial

expressions of family on the front row, etc. If shooting with another shooter, they

can use the telephoto to get shots from the very back, super wide lenses to capture

the venue, exit shots of the B&G and such. Sometimes the officiant may limit your

options thus the need to be flexible and quick thinking.

Try reading Steve Sint's book, "Wedding Photography, Art, Business and Style." He has several suggestions for where to stand during the ceremony, processional, etc. As for the reception--that is hard to standardize. Depends on what kind of shots you are after and what part we are talking about.

Ray ... you might consider asking the bridal couple IF they want you to be "unobtrusive".

My point is that the quality of the photographic moment may require a bit more than being hidden or unobtrusive and I find it best to ask the bridal couple how they want you to photograph the wedding.

There are young couples now that really don't mind you doing what is necessary to get the photos they want.

This is a touchy area but I find it interesting to actually give the bridal couple the decision making power regarding what you have to do to get the type of photography they want.

This concept can go against the conventional wisdom; it doesn't cost a penny to ask the bridal couple about their expectations regarding your presence in capturing the photos they want.

I've actually had couples insist that I get involved and get the photos that will inspire them; this kind of couple sees the photographer as part of the celebration and doesn't want you hiding behind on the walls in the back or knelling down on the sidelines. These couples actually do exist! lol.

Simma' down everyone ... it's merely an option that some bridal couples want recently. There's ways to do this and still be respectful and unobtrusive at the "right" moments.

William:

I had the opportunity to ask my couple your question & to my surprise they want me VERY involved. It is important for them to make sure I get the shot I feel is important. To quote them, "Do what you have to do to get the photo"

You were right (for this couple) to ask the question.

NADINE: A friend of mine has the book you mentioned. Thanks for the tip !

Ray

Congrats on taking the risk Ray of asking the customer what they'd prefer; you may end up just loving this style of photography and suggesting it to some couples along the way.

It will make a world of difference in "the look" you get for the bridal couple.

Ray--William has a very good point and I'm glad it worked well for you and your clients. However, just be sure your movements are OK with the officiant during the ceremony. You may get 'permission' to do whatever you have to but you also have to get that permission from the officiant before doing so. If you don't you may find yourself booted from the ceremony by the officiant, and the couple can't help you here.