Any last minute tips for me?

I am going today to be a second shooter for a photographer in the area and I am

wondering if anyone has some last minute tips for me. This forum has been

awesome so far in answering any questions I have.

Hopefully when I get some experience I will be able to contribute back to the forum

as much as I have received from it. Thanks to everyone who has posted resposes

to my questions. Especially Nadine who has posted in about every one of my

posts! :-)

I will try to post some examples this weekend or early next week.

Just make sure you keep checking the ISO when changing from outside shooting to inside. If you manual white balance then the same thing make sure you change WB everytime you are in a new environment. Constant Focus for action and single focus for portraits.

Avoid getting so caught up in taking your images that you neglect "picking the pro's brain" as the day evolves. Be sure to ask about his/her settings and the raitionale for the choices. Take your time, breathe, and try to capture "moments" here & there (think of yourself as a sniper rather than a michine gunner) concentrating on quality rather than quantity. Be sure to quiz/understand what the pro is expecting from you and for heaven's sake, be sure to dress for the occassion.

After the wedding, try to find a time where you can sit down with the pro and review your images and get his/her feedback.....this should be much more valuable than posting a few "cherry-picked" images on the forum. Course, do post some here as well. Good luck.

Don't "pester" the photographer while he's shooting. Pick his brain before or after the moment. Mostly after.

Like David said, find some time post wedding to review and discuss with the photographer.

I've missed your threads so I'm not up to speed and excuse me if this has been brought up. One thing is that you can be familiar on how to set your camera's time so you can sync to his/hers when you arrive. Practice getting to that part of the menu, and set your lcd 'on time' for a minute, or more, so it doesn't turn off while you're waiting up to a minute for both clocks to their thing. If they haven't thought of this little detail themselves, they'll think you're on the ball and care right from the very begining.

"Constant Focus for action and single focus for portraits."

Constant focus works with static subjects, so I just leave it on constant. Theres enough to worry about as it is, imo.

Have fun!

My suggestion is to observe the photographer, see what he/she's shooting, then shoot details

or from other angles with other lenses.

In other words, don't replicate what the photog is shooting, try to be creative and come up

images that complement, images that tell the same story from a different angle or focal length,

images that give the client more to choose from.

That's the primary role of a second shooter, insofar as shooting is concerned IMHO.

Howdy!

This is a prime opportunity for you to get experience, and increase your portfolio.

I don't know what type of personality you have, so I'm offering the following advice just in case. If it doesn't apply to you, please accept my apology and disregard it.

Regardless of your enthusiasm, let the main photographer be the top dog. My only beef with some of my second shooters is that they argued with me in front of the customer, thus undermining my authority. Swallow your pride, and be the loyal yet relatively silent employee.

Later,

Paulsky

mmm interesting post...

1. ASSIST the Pro..and do everything he says.

2. Don?t be late. Hate that!

3. Present yourself well...clothes, attitude, brush your hair...don?t embarrass yourself and the guy who hired you

4. Don?t talk to much to the bridesmaids or the parents while Pro is shooting. You should be observing and learning.

5. Don?t drink under any circumstances. I dont care even if the bride or groom bags you to loosen up.

6. Don?t dance because you feel like your apart of the wedding.

7. Don?t give out your business cards even if everyone says you take awesome pictures when you show him the little digital screen sample.

8. Do work hard for your money. Earn it!

af

The best/most important time you have to get into the main shooter's head is before the event. Make sure you see lots of samples of the style and understand the priorities... Be very clear about what he/she expects from you.

Does he/she want you for candids, different angles during the ceremony, shooting group shots while he/she shoots the couple, detail shots?

Does he/she do natural, emotional, fun shots or more traditional?

Does he/she want lots of close ups, wide angle, both?

Is he/she a communicator and will be directive - or do they want you to understand the vision and just go for it?

I can tell you if someone tried to pick my brain during the fast flying events of the day, I would snap. But that's me..and I let them know that ahead of time. Some of us tend to point and speak in one/two word sentances and later on when there is a break - or afterwards that is when the thanks and tips come in.

Just be sure you are very clear on how they work, what they expect and what the vision is...

I would repeat what someone above said about observing the primary shooter. Lots of times, a second shooter gets too involved with shooting that he or she misses a lot of learning that could be done just observing how the primary works, particularly when it comes to people management and handling. And your are very welcome. I am happy to provide any useful info.

Make sure you know your role, clearly defined and all expectations thoroughly understood. Just make sure you know what you are responsible for.

Most importantly, NEVER shoot over the primary's shoulder! As a second, you do not want to waste your efforts with duplicate shots. The primary has you there for a reason, and most likely that reason is documentary coverage from a different vantage point.

Good luck!

Oh, as for brain picking, save that for the reception when everyone is eating and there is some down time. Never ask questions on the fly, the primary has plenty enough going on in their mind as well. Shooting second is fun, it usually affords you the luxury of exploring a little more creativity while not having the pressure of getting the must have shots.