Canon Lens Sale?

So I know that Canon puts on their twice a year rebate sale, but do the Canon lenses ever go on

sale otherwise? I'm looking to get a 10-22 and the 24-105L which both do not fall in the rebate

category. Any suggestions on getting cheaper lenses? Should I look into used/refurbished/used to

be rentals or should I just shell out the cash and get brand new ones?

You gotta ask yourself one importanmt question first: Do you need those lenses now? If the answer is yes, then it doesn't matter when/if they go on sale. I always buy new for Canon. The savings from buying used are not big enough to risk a bad used copy - at least not for me.

If you don't need them immediately, then you can wait until the next rebate program will be announced and hope that your lenses will be included in the rebate.

When I buy a lens, I typically need that lens for specific purposes, like an upcoming trip and the question really never poses itself if I should wait for a cheaper price - what's a better deal worth on a lens if you never got the shot you needed it for in the first place.

Michael Ziegler is right - you do need a long lens. I had my 100-400 with me and even that was sometimes too short. Also you should take at least a monopod. Costa Rica is fabulous - if you like taking pictures of critters (and there are tons of them, esp. at night) take either a Macro lens, or buy some cheap Kenko extension tubes for your long lens. Ideally you would also want to bring a flash with an extension cord to get it off the camera's hotshoe for those night Macro shots.

I think there is a good opportunity to pick up both those lenses used at a good deal. For the 10-22, there are always people dumping that if they move to a full-frame camera. And the 24-105 is included in some 5D kits, so it seems like there's more of those being sold lately. Check the classifieds here, at fredmiranda.com, and at photography-on-the.net.

Those are two excellent lenses, and form my basic travel kit. Throw in a fast prime (such as 50 f/1.4 or f/1.8) and you have quite a bit of versatility in a small bag.

You will need IS or a tripod in the Jungle, the Carinean jungles are not as dense so also not as dark, Monteverde and the Pacific jungles though be prepared for pretty dense jungle. A great place to shoot is The Osa Penninsula, if you take the road all the way to the end and walk down the beach towards the Park entrance, at the right time of day you will be astounded at the number of Scarlet Macaws you will see close up in the Almond trees, you can do close ups easy with a 300mm.

<cite>do the Canon lenses ever go on sale otherwise?</cite>

<p>Yes. But in many countries, certainly including this one (Canada) and probably including the one where this site is hosted (USA), it's illegal for manufacturers to set retail prices. They can <em>suggest</em> retail prices, and can prohibit retailers from advertising prices below certain levels, but they can't actually set the retail price. This is why they do rebates: it's legal for the manufacturer to offer you a rebate on a product, which achieves the same goal (induce the consumer to buy a product by dropping the price) but is legal.</p>

<p>So Canon doesn't put their lenses on sale, other than by way of their periodic rebates. Many retailers do put products on sale from time to time.</p>