Broken Lens

I was shooting a wedding the other day and my wife (second shooter) dropped our

Rebel with a 50mm USM f/1.4. The lens didn't survive the crash. Is now jammed

and won't focus. Considered having it repaired but it costs $120 just to have a

diagnosis/no repair. The lens only cost around $400 so what should I do. See

about having it repaired, or just eat the cost and buy a new one. FYI I have a

85mm USM f/1.8 that I want to get rid of, and would consider a trade for a 50mm

if anybody has one. Thanks for any help.

Is that $120 from Canon for dx? My first thought was get a 50 f/1.8 as a spare, but I know it's not the same quality build as the 1.4. You'll have to decide what the lens is worth to you. Other options include, of course, looking for a gently used one, or switching all your gear to Nikon :P (simmer down, I'm only kidding). Sorry about your loss.

https://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=OnlineRepairBookingAct&fcategoryid=216&modelid=7307

You can try to get an estimate and/or feasability prognosis from Canon, and I think they'll look at it for free if you send it to them (i think, and you do pay s/h charges). Wolf outsources all thier repairs, so it's better to go directly to the source. Also, try searching for camera/lens repairs on the net- I've had pretty good luck having older Canon bodies rebuilt for reasonable rates.

Looks like the standard rate from Canon is $93, subject to the possibility of additional charges to be approved by you if necessary, and they may choose to replace instead of repair if unrepairable. You may end up with a Frankenlens built by Canon of spare and/or salvaged parts. But it's probably worth $93 in any case. I wish things didn't break when they get smashed on the floor...