2.8/135 Elmarit R Apperture Incorrectly read by R8

Hi,

The apperture using my 2.8/135 Elmarit R on my R8 is being read by the body to

be f1.7 - f13. It's a 3 cam lens, I'm not sure why it's doing this, or how to remedy

it. My 3 cam 2.8/60 macro is fine, so I figure it's something wrong with the lens.

Thanks,

Geoff

Geoff,

One of two things can be wrong. If your other 3rd/3 cam/Rom lenses are registering fine, then your 3rd cam on your 135mm elmarit-r is out of alignment. If all your lenses are doing it, then your cam sensor on your R8 is out of alignment. The 3rd cam is step/stair shaped while your 1st and 2nd cams are silver and sloped. The R8 can use all 3 cam lenses and Rom lenses, but they all must have the 3rd cam at the very least.

Gary

I am going to take a guess and say your lens was originally a 2 Cam and the 3rd was added on later. I have had a few 2 Cam lenses converted to 3 Cam and my repairman gave me a disclaimer that the R8 will read the lens half a stop off but will be correct in earlier models. Sure enough my f/2 lenses read f/2.5 and my f/2.8 read f/3.5 but the error does not seem to affect actual results.

Raymond,

Do you know if converting to ROM would solve this problem?

The third cam does look like it could be chipped at the lowest step, if this is the cause and needs fixing, I may convert to ROM instead. Anyone know if this would turn out to be a far more expensive option?

Mine has the VII filter, and the serial number is under 3m. Did they make 3 cam versions of this lens, or does this confirm it as a converted 1 or 2 cam?

Are the e55 versions superior to this lens? I have the option of returning it for refund, repair, or exchange, or a small credit to get it repaired, but the amount would cover only part of the expense I think.

If you can return your lens for a refund then I would do it. A late E55 3 Cam version should only be around $300 and that should be for an EX+ to mint sample. The 135mm Elmarit is definately underrated and a bargain in the R range. Get your money back and keep an eye open at KEH or elsewhere.