show any wolves. Do I keep hiking and waiting at different places? I

can't move the shed everywhere I go. I plan on shooting some Mexican

Gray Wolves in Southern AZ and I have not shot any before in the wild

so I need guidance on this situation.

Thanks in advance.

<em>what if the spot I choose does not show

any wolves</em>

<p>

Then you won't get any pictures. This is the most likely situation.

When working with rare or elusive species it might take weeks or

months to get a good shot, even if you are very familar with their

behavior. Blinds can help, depending on the species. Wolves are

pretty smart and have much better senses of smell, sight and

hearing than you do. My guess is it would be pretty tricky to

fool them unless you <em>really</em> know what you are doing,

even if you knew where they were likely to be.

I don't want to discourage you, but I think a reality check is in order. I've spent the last 13 years in SE Arizona with quite a bit of time in the field. I've never seen a Mexican Gray Wolf, much less been in a position to photograph one. This of course doesn't include the desert museum in Tucson where they have a couple. The wolves have been reintroduced into the White Mountains. There's about 15 or so reintroduced wolves. Two problems for you there though. First, it's rough terrain with limited visibility, so seeing them will be tough. Second, they are very closely watched over. I believe that there is a law prohibiting harrassment, which might even include purposefully apporaching one to take it's picture. But good luck to you. Everyone should have a quest.

Lionel, to have any chance at all, you are going to have to put in some heavy duty time on finding out all you can about your intended subjects and their needs. A densite, watering hole or semi static food source in conjunction with a strategically placed blind or hide will all get you somewhere within the ballpark. However, the wolves tolerance (or not) and your knowledge and respect of their protocols will be your biggest determinants in any success that you might have. A number of years ago i was invited to photograph a study group of wolves here in the Canadian Rockies, the site was an open and reclaimed gravel pit complete with blind, nearby densite and rendevous point. Researchers would put out winter road killed ungulates close to the blind in order to gain proximity for photography, i got (over time) some great shots, but it was extremely hard even though these wolves where somewhat habituated. If they dont want to be seen, you wont see them, its that simple. Good luck Lionel, let us all know how you made out. David Crossley/Crossley Photography.

Lionel,

Keep in mind that it is illegal to approach an endangered animal. You can even get in trouble for damaging the food that it eats. Speak with local wildlife officials before doing this. They are a great source of information and will tell you how and where to find the animals as well as what you should not do.

Lionel, I'm not positive that these animals are endangered, you might want to check on that (although if they were reintroduced they are probably at least threatened). I was just commenting on endangered animals in general. There are some things that people should know before approaching an animal which is why I suggested talking to local biologists. For example, approaching or picking up a desert tortoise (threatened species) could make it void water as a defense. This depletes it of vital reserves which could kill it later.

Local biologists will know these things and may even let you tag along or suggest how to best view the wolves without doing any harm. I didn't mean to discourage you, photographing wild animals can be very rewarding, especially the rare ones. But the best way to do this is to do it the right way. Good luck and have fun.

Lionel:

If you want to photograph wolves in the wild, shag on up to Denali Park, Alaska, right now. A group of wolves is frequenting the Igloo Creek and Campground area. One is so bold that it has stolen a nalgene bottle, Camera, backpack and other goodies from hikers...not aggressive but curious. It's a great opportunity....especially since i hear the park service may "do something." All the best.

I believe that "do[ing] something" would most likely involve tranquilizing the wolf or wolves and moving them farther away from people. That's basically what going to do with a group of wild dogs that were frequenting the area of the Olympic National Park coastline in Washington where I was backpacking last week (except in this case, the dogs were probably going to be taken back to the indian reservation that they came from). As for photographing wolves, I would consult with local biologists, game wardens, etc. and I would probably consider hiring a guide of some sort (a hunting guide might be your best bet) to help locate the wolves. Just my 2 cents.

I have heard some amazing stories about those wolves. The "do somethine" that I heard the Park Service was considering was the closing of the Igloo Creek campground. Denali is made up of a web of wolf packs. To relocate some of them could very likely end in their deaths at the hands of another pack.

• 1 month later...
The wolves in Denali at Igloo have remeained very visible all fall. The Igloo group, or members have been seen almost daily in September. The Igloo area has been closed to entry because of their visibility and the presence of pups (about half-full size). On the 11th (about) of September they killed two very large bull moose that had gotten their antlers locked together. The one bull, we believe, may be the large bull photographed alot over the last few years. Three other moose kills appear to be in the area. People hanging out near the road got pictures of the wolves, as did some people who violated the rules and went in after them...a dangerous thing to do - besides being illegal...since a grizzly took over the kill.