Just looking through a few websites... lens prices have just taken a massive

jump it seems.

For example... 24-70L was $1,288 last week, this week it is $1,568

16-35L was ~$1,600 last week, this week it is up to ~$1,800

We have a rebate on right now, but that's still a pretty substantial jump. I

have had a chance to check out other lenses yet, but i'm a little worried the

prices have jumped there too.

What gives?

It's certainly partially due to Canon increasing lens prices to dealers [<a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/Canon_price_increase_2008.html">LINK]</a>. In the US that starts on May 1st and in Canada I believe it starts on May 5th. US price increases should be in the 3-5% range. I'm not sure if it will be the same for Canada.

<p>

Some retailers have "jumped the gun" and some may see it as an opportunity not only to pass along the price increases from Canon, but to add a little more to boost their own (possibly flagging) profits.

<p>Canon Canada reports to Canon U.S., not to Canon Japan, so if Canon U.S. cranks up its prices*, you'd expect the same to happen here, too.</p>

<p>*: with the possible exception of cases in which USD depreciates against JPY but CAD doesn't. In the last few months, USD to CAD has bounced around but stayed within a range of a few percent either way. I don't know how JPY has done relative to these two currencies.</p>

<i>Some retailers have "jumped the gun" and some may see it as an opportunity not only to pass along the price increases from Canon, but to add a little more to boost their own (possibly flagging) profits.</i><p>I think "jumped the gun," is a little pejorative. According to our buyer, whom I trust, Canon USA canceled all back-orders and stopped unfulfilled in-process orders and basically informed us (and I presume all their other authorized retailers as well) that any item on the price increase list we hadn't already paid for would end up costing us the new higher prices. In addition, part of what makes a retailer's price is the replacement cost of the item being sold. If the replacement cost goes up, prices do too.<p><a href="mailto:henryp@bhphotovideo.com">Henry Posner</a><br>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com"><b>B&H Photo-Video</b></a>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

Henry has confirmed my suspicions. Well, I guess in some ways it's good... at least i know if I want to sell any of my L lenses in the next year, I probably won't lose anything on them. I've got all the lenses I wanted to get now anyways so it's all good.

Both the US dollar and Cdn dollar have declined over 15% from their 2007 highs against the yen. Year to date, the Canadian dollar has depreciated the most against the yen falling over 8% while the USD is down 6.5%.

No wonder prices are going up on canon lenses!

Canon price increases are among the smallest and most reasonable I've seen. For our

business, shipping costs have actually doubled in 2 years, electricity is nearly double, etc. 3-

5% increase is almost free...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

>>shipping costs have actually doubled in 2 years, electricity is nearly double, etc. 3- 5% increase is almost free...<<

Right, I am actually surprised that it's such a relatively small increas e and only on some products. I was fearing massive increases across the board, so to speak.