Canon EOS400D Vs Nikon D80

ashwin_sheorey

Comparing those two bodies, the Nikon is the better-featured camera.

Comparing Nikon to Canon, you won't find much difference the prints you get, or in the fundamental specifications. Similarly featured models have similar prices. Canon and Nikon models right now fall in between each other in price and features, but it is as simple as this: you get what you pay for. If a camera costs more, it's because it has more useful features. If it costs less, it's because it has fewer. Go into a store and try them or rent them. Do not go in with money to blow, as the salesperson will try to talk you into his or her personal favorite, or the one who he or she has been pressured to push that month. In the end, you should just pick the brand that has:

1. The lens system you like best.

2. The bodies that you find most comfortable and easy to control.

3. The flash system you like best.

Unfortunately for me, number one goes to Canon and the other two go to Nikon.

NOTICE I did not say to pick a brand based on a certain model of camera body. If you stick with photography for a long time, you will own many bodies throughout your life. There will always be something new and fangled to pull you one way or the other. Invest in a total long-term system, not just one camera that catches your fancy right now.

Keith

Go to a store and handle them both. I find D80 much better in every way. Both will take good pictures and both manufacturers have a good collection of lenses, so it's a matter of taste.

Take the kit lens, it's almost free with the body. Later when you know what you need it's much easier to buy more expensive glass.

Having said that you can't go wrong with Tamron 17-50 2.8. It's relatively inexpensive, very good quality and fast general purpose zoom.

This is my hypothesis of the two brands, if anyone has a better explanation please let me know. Canon and Nikon are big players in the digital SLR industry. What does that mean? They have the R&D power, but it also means they have the brand power to charge you a premium. Further, they let the smaller players like Olympus to test the market with new technologies, for example, dust reduction and live view, then leveraging their brand power, they can pick and choose the best combinations. So, one would probably not see brand new concepts on these two brands, but when ones see them, they are usually top notch.

With that in mind, if you feel XTi or D80 is right for you, you'd have to think about the long term. In other words, what type of camera you have now is somewhat irrelevant, it is the whole system that matters. Which one suits your needs and budget. There will always be some leapfrogging in technology, so you must consider your personal costs and benefits, instead of looking at current specifications.

Now, I have a stupid question about Canon and Nikon.

When I bought my 30D back in Feb of 2006 when it just hit the market not too long ago, I was considering it along with the Nikon D80.

Even though the features are somewhat similar between D80 and 30D (D80 actually has slightly more onboard software features, while 30D has better hardware specs), almost all review websites compare the D80 with the Rebel line, yet it was selling for more than the price of the 30D. Why is that?

Also for the professional grade cameras, Nikon D3 seems to be better than the 1Ds MkIII, and at a considerably lower price. I'm also curious to what may have caused this.

The truth is it probably doesn't matter which camera you pick, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax or Olympus if all you want is a general purpose camera and a couple of lenses. However if you get serious, the way to decide is to look at the whole system. What body could you upgrade to? What lenses are available? What flash systems are available. If you do that you'll probably pick Nikon or Canon like about 90% of professional DLSR shooters do. Between Nikon and Canon there's not all that much difference. Canon have traditionally had the better selection of telephoto lenses, Nikon tend to do a bit better with wideangles. Canon have, in the past, had the technology lead (FF sensors, IS lenses etc.), but the technology is maturing and it's harder to stay ahead for long. These days it's usually a "back and forth" battle.

If I wanted a fairly simple DSLR and a few lenses, I'd look at the Pentax and Sony cameras with image stabilization built into the body. Foe example the Pentax K200D.

Thank you everyone for all the answers.

Canon sells the 400D in India with the kit lens for 825 USD whereas it is available in the grey market for 650 USD - i.e a differnce of around 175 USD. Should I head for the grey market ? I will not get the warranty, but does anyone need it for the first two years?

Also I wish to invest more in the lens than the body . Considering this what should be my first lenses? I have short listed the 50 mm / 1.8, sigma 17-70, 28-105 F 3.5-4.5, 85 f1.8 etc.