want new lens need advice

bfk4

I don't know of any lens that meets all your criteria. You will have to give up one or more of those qualities so it might help if you can decide which are most important to you.

To see your choices, check out Nikon's lens lineup....

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Camera-Lenses/index.page

Oh, and it would help to know your budget and if you are willing to buy used as well as new.

The 16-85VR probably is the closest Nikon lens to meet your criteria but it is beyond your budget.

To stay inside your budget, you might want to consider a wider lens, say the Tokina 12-24mm or Sigma 10-20mm. The Sigma will focus a couple inches closer. However, neither of them have VR.

Note that both of these lenses are extremely wide. If you like the wide angle effect and will give up VR, both are attractive options.

Low light?

Try something different. Skip the zoom with VR and buy a 50mm f1.8 for a little over

one hundred bucks (I'll assume you have a tripod, if not, you should get one of those).

Shoot with this lens for a while. Then decide if you want to go longer or wider more, and

buy either a 35mm f2 (or sigma 30mm f1.4) or an 85mm f1.8. You will still be, with two

lenses, at about the 500 dollar mark. you might find that a better combo is the 35mm f2

and the 85mm f1.8. But you will probably enjoy the cheap and great 50mm f1.8 enough

to keep it in your bag, plus you will look smart and talented to all the other

photographers you see with all those cool prime lenses in your bag. ;-)

A far as low light fast aperture really wide stuff? Only thing is the new (and largely

untested, except by Ken Rockwell and some intrepid travelers to the far east) 11-16

f2.8 lens from Tokina, which I myself plan to buy REAL soon, as soon as you can get it

here in the States. But it's just barely out of your price range, and for me, in really low

light, I find I want a sub-f2 lens. There are no zooms from anybody that are THAT fast.

Biff, I agree with Peter buy the 50/1.8 prime and learn how to shoot low light without flash. It is a great portrait lens and you will get some idea what you need to buy later. The tamaron 17-50/2.8 might be what you are looking for.

Bernhardt the 28-70 doesn't get close enough.not only that I dropped it:(. and more light might be good.you guys might have answered my question. as I think about the 50 1.8 that might be the way to go.if I want more light at 2.8 that seems the only real good idea. Am I thinking right here?I just cant seem to get enough light. seems Im always short on light. I don't really care about long focal length I have a 70-210d of course it doesn't go close and when I zoom it seems soft at the long end. 16-85 for a focal length is plenty. I want close and clear. I might do the 50 1.8 just for the reasons everyone is saying. I just switched over to digital and am enjoying it but I have been out of photography for to long,lol. Hey I really appriciate all the input you can't imagine what a big help it is. Thanks Biff