Difference between A12 and A24 backs..?

lewis_heapy

Hey guys, im new to the forum and I'd just like some information regarding the

difference between the A12 and A24 backs. Now im fully aware that the A12 backs

accept 12 exposure 120 film, and the A24 can accept 120 film with 24 exposures.

I also know that the price of backs can vary greatly depending on age,

condition, etc...

However, during a recent ebay search, I came across an absolutely mint A12 back

that appears to be one of the more recent one. It was used but as i said, looked

completely brand new. It ended up selling for 348GBP! (nearly $700) Needless to

say i was suprised the demand was that high... A few minutes later, I came

across an actual new in box (or so it says) A24 back. it too appears to be one

of the very latest models and is chrome (as was the A12 back that sold for

?348). However, this A24 back is up for sale at 139.99GBP (around $280) BUY IT

NOW! Now im not sure if im missing something, but this seems like a brilliant

deal and im ready to snap it up. However, im so suprised that it hasnt sold yet,

and a used A12 back goes for 150GBP more than this supposedly brand new back, im

starting to doubt that its too good to be true.

The feedback for the seller seems to be fine, so please tell me, why is this

back so cheap!? Are the A12 backs considerably better or more sort after for a

particular reason?

Thanks in advance!

Lewis, to begin with, the A12 back is designed to use 120 film (12 exposures in 6X6 format - hence, the "12" in A12). The A24 back is designed to use 220 film, which gives 24 exposures in 6X6 format, hence the.....well, you get it. Since 220 film has no paper backing between the leader and tail-end, the design of the pressure plate and other mechanics in the A24 is slightly different than the A12. Yes, you can use 120 film in an A24 back, but you have to be conscious of the number of frames you've shot because the A24 will try to continue to advance film beyond the 12th frame. Both the A12 and A24 are engineered precisely by the elves at Hasselblad, which is why they cost so much. By the way: Check to see that the part number on the film insert matches that of the back it's in. That's important.

The reason that the A24 back is cheaper than the A12 is that 220 film is not very much in demand these days and, in fact, is becoming increasingly hard to find. The 120 film, however, is still alive and well, thank you very much. Basically, it's the old law of supply and demand that drives the pricing........

Hi Lewis

Don't know if you are in the uk or not from your post, but I am.

I got all of my hasselblad gear on e bay and the price will fluctuate on demand and quality. However, I paid around ?60 each for 2 A12 backs on seperate occasions. 1 Was in great condition and the other good condition. I also bought an A24 for ?20 - I was the only person to bid. If you are from the UK then there do not seem to be many Pro labs which develop 220 now. I can suggest at least 1 lab if you are from the uk if not then others here from the US will be able to help from the other side of the pond

Thank you both for your speedy responses.

Bill, I thought it was probably down to supply and demand, but the price difference was so huge i just had to check. That websites' inventory looks brilliant, its just a shame i live across 'the pond' and will therefore get charged excessive amounts of import duty.

William, I knew about the obvious differences between the 12 and 24, but thanks alot for clearing several things up without me asking. I did know you could use 120 film in a 24 back, but i didnt know that the back will try and advance the film, so thanks alot for that.

Also, this A24 back im looking at claims that the serial numbers match.

So it seems as if i should go for it then, $280ish for a like new A24 chrome back is a pretty standard price right?

Thanks both of you yet again.

Alan,

I do indeed live in the UK. If I were to purchase this A24 back, I would probably end up mainly shooting 120 through it. (I am a novice when it comes to MF so if this method isn't really recommended then please let me know!) However, If you could let me know of places in the UK that do develop 220 that'd be much appreciated.

I thought 140GBP was a good price for a like new A24, but upon you telling me you purchased your A12's for 60 quid, do you think that i'd be forking out a little too much?

Lewis

When I read your post, I looked up e bay. If you type in Hasselblad in search you will come accross an A24 on the first page and is due up in about 14 hours. The starting bid is ?30 and no-one has yet bid. As I said, I have an A24 and will use it for 220 in time but I actually posted a thread like yours not too long ago and the opinion I came back with was it was not worth putting 120 into it. Too much hassle but it is up to you. The general concensis is that you get what you pay for. Both my A12 backs are mid 80's and both work great. I personally would not buy one any earlier than 82 but that's my own choice. If you get a back with matching case and insert then it is worth more, but only one of mine matches and the other doesn't but I've not had a problem with it.

I have been watching A12 backs for the last 4 months now on E bay UK and you will pick up a decent one for around ?60 sometimes less and on occasion up to about ?90.

From what I have seen, IN MY OPINION I would not pay ?140 for an A24.

Just curious, don't want your address, but which county are you in?

I will try and find the thread I started on this subject. In the end it started a war regarding how much spacing there was between frames when using 120 on a 220.

In the meantime have a look at colorworldimaging.co.uk

Alan

There is less variety of film emulsion options in 220 than in 120. That probably has a lot to do with the higher value of an A-12 than an A-24. 220 film is quickly falling from favor and simply less available. 120 seems to still be well supported by the film manufacturers so it is a better bet for the future.

Thanks alot for your reply Alan.

I have come across the older-type A12 and A24 backs, But i guess the reason i was prone to buying the A24 for ?140 is that it was a newer version with the rubber-looking back piece. As a similar aged and conditioned A12 went for ?348 i thought it was a great deal.

Do these newer backs both 12 and 24 have any real pluses to the older ones apart from the plain fact that they are..newer?

it would be great to read that thread, so if you do manage to find it, I would appreciate it if you could post it or email it to me.

I live slap bang in the centre (well, nearly) of London. Swiss Cottage/Camden/Finchely Road area if that means anything to you.

I think i've stumbled across colorworld before, but i didnt know they developed 220. Thanks alot!

Lewis

Sorry Mate live in cornwall

I don't know a lot about the newer backs except they do go for a lot when they sell. Find our which year it was made from the seller and then post it here. Someone may help. If you contact colourworld they will send you out a pricelist pack it has the 220 listed in it. I usually use Colab, but they don' do 220 and I will be switching my processing to Colourworld as it is about ?2.00 cheaper per 5x5 film.

Try: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Omzb

or you can try

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Omyn

I have a list of other labs mate, if I come accross any other useful info then I will post

Take it easy

Alan

<i>"Do these newer backs both 12 and 24 have any real pluses to the older ones apart from the plain fact that they are..newer? "</i><br><br>You mean older vs newer A12 or A24 backs?<br>If so, the answer is "no".<br><br>I too would say that the price you paid is rather high. You can get A24 backs in good shape for as little as ? 40 - 50 nowadays. Sorry!

Alan,

Overwhelmed with the information and patience you've had me, thanks for posting those threads too, the second is quite amusing to say the least! P.s. Your incredibily lucky to live in Cornwall, me and my girlfriend regularly visit St.ives and Penzance as she used to live there. Where abouts are your from?

Q.T,

Thanks for the answer. Luckily, i didnt buy it. I think im going to purchase an older but good conditioned A12!

Cheers Lads!

Not a problem on the help. In fact most of it is to the credit of a lot of these guys on this site.

I'm from Newquay. Bit of a rough place and not somewhere I like to raise the kids. Keep an eye on e bay as there are usually loads of A12's on offer.

If I can help any more then please contact me on:

ahiggins06@aol.com

Alan

Have you looked around for a reliable source of 220 film? Your choices in emulsions are limited, but not so limited as places that stock the film.

You can buy an excellent A12 back from KEH.com for less than half the price you cite. Even with shipping and VAT you would be well ahead.

Most interesting option now that A 24 backs are selling at very low

prices is to convert an A24 into an A12 back with parts from a poor condition A12.

A good technician can do that for less than 40GBP + parts.

I have had several A24 backs converted into A 12. No problem at all.

If you put 120 film through an A24 you will get uneven spacing with increasing distance

between the frames as the shots progress. Doesn't worry me, but I get a slip of paper

bitching about it with every slide film I get back from my E6 lab.<br>

The one thing you do have to remember is to stop after exposure 12 and advance the film

with the magazine's crank.