How to handle Canon EF70 - 200 F2.8L (non-IS) lens

cheewooi

Keep your elbows in and control your breathing. If possible, brace your body against something; a post, a sign, any solid vertical object. Use your eyebrow ridge as a bracing point as well. Leave the camera in continuous mode and take two shots at a time.

<p>

See<b>

<a href=http://www.dcmag.co.uk/How_to_master_handholding.YTeUnMk.html>here</a></b> for advanced techniques.

Good technique and practice: the same technique archers and shooters (pistol and rifle) use.

Up front I state I am not of the theory of always using continuous shooting to nail a jitter free shot by happenstance.

I agree that correct breathing is intrinsic to good technique: so is attitude and absolute mental focus, grasshopper.

Certainly, the faster the shutter speed the less likely camera shake will be an issue.

Good technique and practice can pull almost 95% results if you know your own limits and where the limits are, to freeze subject motion.

As an example, I know I always need SS 1/640 at a Block Start to do this, below:

And you can just see movement in one hand and on foot, so we could argue that 1/800 would have been better: but the point is, there is no camera shake, and that is simply achieved by practice and technique.

And in this example I was pretty much at the edge, apropos exposure, as the pool lighting was very dark: ISO 160 and the lens was wide open, (F2.8) the lens is set at FL115mm and taken with a 20D.

I hand hold my 70 to 200 usually always, very occasionally a monopod on my 70 to 200.

In any event a monopod is a very useful tool, and I suggest you get a good one: I have a Manfrotto 679B with a 486 ball head, that suits me fine.

It is just that on these occasions, as in my example, my monopod is on another lens and two monopods are simply chaotic, so you gotta learn good technique.

WW<div>00PJ59-43165284.jpg.9e725383e4626a6ef6fe110ded8ac900.jpg</div>

One of my best purchases ever was to splurge on the 70-200 2.8L IS. It was much more expensive when I bought, almost $2K. At least you have the f/2.8 capability so you can open it wide and increase your shutter speed as much as possible. In low light you will always be limited to the need for a tripod/monopod.

Yes, In fact it is quite easy and just takes a little practice.

First as you are holding the camera, make sure that the lens is resting in the palm of your left hand with your thumb on the left side of the lens.

Your Left hand should handle most weight of the camera and lens combo. Let your right hand rest on the camera naturally and loosely. You do not need to keep a death grip on the camera or the lens.

when you go vertical make sure that you turn your camera counter clockwise and then use your side shutter release.

Make sure that you gently press the shutter button - no punching it with your finger.

Now, bring the camera up to your eye not your head down to the camera. Take a baby step forward with your right foot and "lead" with your left side at an angle to the subject.

Keep your elbows in towards your sides to help brace the camera and lens. If you are shooting at a shutter speed lower than the focal length then make sure that you take a breath let a lttle out and stop breathing and slowly press the shutter.

Practice, practice, practice..

I hope this helps