lense

joe_sershen

2nd hand Nikkor 300mm f/4 AF-S with either TC 1.4 II or TC 1.7II - this combo will fit into your budget. I have this lens and use the TC 1.7 and am very pleased with the results - deadly sharp on it's own and still very accepatble with the long 1.7x TC. This lens has a poor tripod foot though which most owners replace with a Kirk collar replacement. I use a scientific flask rubber stopper / cork which cuts down the worst of the shake on my tri-pod unit down to 1/125th shutter speed in most light situations.

Joe, you have mentioned 300+ yards before:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00NRDU

I don't think a whole lot of wildlife photography is done from that far away. You'll need way too much maganification to begin with. We are also talking about shooting through a lot of air with heat simmer, dust, pollution, etc. etc. in between. The main issue is no longer the optical quality of your lens.

Joe, for what you want, $ 2000, is not enough. Talk to Visa or Mastercard or whoever else to multiply your amount x4 or x5, if you want to get quality and sharp pictures at 274m (300 yards) and beyond.

I have a Celestron Refractor 102 XLT Astronomic Telescope. Is a 1000mm f10 and when you use it as a terrestrial lens, all that Shun Cheung says about air pollution is absolutely true.