rechargeable Batteries for the SB-800 and SB-600

tumble2113

I just ordered a second flash and figure now is the time to get rechargeable

AA's for them. I did a quick look for other posts and they were all last year so

I thought it was worth asking again. Since this stuff changes frequently enough

What are people using and recommending? What chargers do you like?

Last ones I bought I had one good set and one bad set, so I would like to avoid

that again(It was the same brand which makes me want to avoid them as well)

Jim

Jim, I wouldn't recommend those batteries here if I didn't like them myself, but I have had them for less than a year, so it hasn't been that long. NiMH isn't exactly that new a technology any more. I expect most of the brands are fine. I have no experience about eneloops batteries, though.

You will get fastest recycle of the flash with rechargeable alkaline.<br>

Alkaline batteries are 1.5V, NiMHs are 1.2V, and the higher voltage reduces the time for flash to be ready.<br>

(This is one of the reasons for the SB-800 having the fifth battery: 5 x 1.2V = 4 x 1.5V = 6.0V.<br>

Amp-hours is a measure of capacity, i.e how many flashes you'll get.<p>

Alkalines hold their charge while stored better than NiMHs do;<br>

NiMHs have a longer life and better recharge characteristics.

I use Sanyo NiMH batteries. I've tried other brands and the Sanyo seem to work the best. They are white with orange and blue stripes, not the eneloop ones. I purchase them online from thomas distributing. Also make sure you get an intelligent charger such as the La Crosse BC-900.

If you shoot a lot, the rechargeables will save you a bundle. I have 10 Nikon SB flash including the SB-800 and have learned a few things about batteries. I highly recommend the Kodak batteries, white ones, available at Walmart for $7.88 in their photo dept. These are low discharge batteries and will keep a charge for about a year. I've been using the Kodak 2500 mAh batteries, which are olive green in color and sell at Walmart for $7.44 a 4pack. They are great and have never once failed me. I own 44 of them. I have used them for outdoor flash all winter long, mostly in temps below zero. They worked even when it was 25 below zero, which greatly impressed me. I'm not saying they are better than other brands, but they are AT LEAST as good and cost considerably less. Since I'm a heavy user of AA batteries in flash NiMH makes sense for me. I use the Kodak 2500 mAh batteries instead of the low discharge Kodak 2100 mAh because I thought the little extra capacity might help me on cold nights. My photo sessions last about 2-4 hours each and I recharge after about 8 hours. Never once had a flash fail to fire, no matter how cold it got or how long the flash sat out there in the frigid Minnesota nights. I use a MaHa charger. The charger is very important. Do not buy the Kodak 1 hour charger, although the "value charger" is OK. It is a slow charger. If you are a heavy user of batteries, I do advise going with the MaHa charger.

Kent in SD

Currently I`m using Energizer sets, from 2400 to 2700 mAh. They loose charge faster than I would like, but are cheap and works. I have a lot of them.

I charge them on their Energizer 15 min. charger which is really confortable. I don`t know if it is a good charger (batteries gets hot after a charge). It also have an interesting car plug.

Purchase the Sanyo Eneloop batteries at Costco. I've replaced all my rechargeable AA's except my industrial Panasonics when I need the extra punch. The Eneloops won't self-discharge like cheap Energizers. Also, over time, I've had 80% of my Energizer battery stock completely fail. That is, charge them and within 100 hours (4 days) on the shelf, they're dead. Only after 2 years of moderate use. My older Duracells lasted longer than that and the even older Panasonics haven't even blinked.

Here's an article I wrote up about the Energizer, Duracell & Panasonic:

http://aaronlinsdau.com/gear/articles/nimh.html

I haven't had time to do testing on the Eneloops, but with their ultra-slow discharge rate, I don't have a reason to.

Compare: 1 good Energizer down to 1.32V in 400 hours BUT 5 dropped below 1.32V in less than 24 hours. Duracell dropped to 1.32 in 100 hours. All Panasonics dropped to 1.32V in 500 hours.

Panasonic is clearly superior at battery longevity and life prior to the Sanyo Eneloops coming out.