D300 slow shutter speed only in raw?

davey h

Hi to all hope you can help?. I have a d300 with different lenses all nikon

70-200 vr 2.8 standard 18-70 and sigma 10-20. Took some pictures the other day

in apperture priority with 70-200 vr with image quality set to raw the camera

reading was about 1200th aperture around 5.6. When i pressed the shutter release

the camera sounded about a 30th of a second maybe slower. I took a few snaps all

the same motion. The images came out over exposed i checked the +/- all ok.

I then switched the image quality back to jpeg fine large and all ok pics turned

out fine with same shutter speed. I then switched back to raw and old problem

came back then back to jpeg and all ok again. Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Did you perhaps have the exposure delay behavior turned on? That might have given you the impression of a longer exposures, while actually just delaying the shutter opening after the mirror went up. Or... did you have exposure compensation dialed up?

I don't know if this is your problem or not, but I had a problem close to this.

I put one set of AA batters in the MB-D10 backwards. When I tried to shoot at 8 fps the D300 would only take 2 fps after that (only in the RAW setting).

I didn't tell Teck support what I had done, but when I it back from them, they said that the only problem was that I had change the NEF (RAW) recording in the Shooting Menu from 12 bit to 14 bit which I hadn't done (the D300 only shoots 2 fps in 14 bit RAW). I guess putting the batters in the MB-D10 backwards did it.

So check all of your Menu's out pretty good.

The 14-bit RAW mode on the D300 will introduce extra delay, for one thing more shutter lag. And using the MB-D10, even though you have 8AA or the EN-EL4(a) in it, the D300 drops from 8 frames/sec to 2.5 frames/sec.

However, the 14-bit mode should not completely mess up your exposure. It is supposed to improve image quality.