go on but the 70 - 210 f4 will not.

2. The adapter is very poorly made in that it is difficult to get on the lens,

it will not lock and the only way to get it off is to pry it off - not rotate

it off.

3. None of the lenses will open up to more than F 5.6. I went to a M42 site

and found nothing. Thanks for any advice on the above, Rick

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00PKYQ

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=27755355

I think you're going to get the same answer no matter how many places you ask the question: workable solutions for the FD adaptors require adding more glass to the light path if the result is to focus at infinity (complicating the light path is the surest way to compromise optical quality), and if there was a high-quality solution for adapting FD lenses to Sony (or Canon, or other) digital SLRs, FD lenses would sell for a lot more than they do.

For reasons that Bob Atkins explains

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/canon_fd_eos_adapters.html

historically attempts at such adaptors have had very mixed success (the "Elfoto" or whatever his is called in the link above apparently works better than most). One reason the build quality is often bad (as in your experience) is probably that reputable mfrs stay away from the challenge, knowing that great success is unlikely and the result will not help their reputation (just as returned items will not help their profits!).

Most digital SLR buyers quickly conclude that new investments in FD lenses aren't worth the risk, hassle, or quality compromises. But on that linked page Bob says the Elfoto might be worth a try for those with a passel of FD lenses, and if this includes you, the risk of trying a new adaptor could be relatively small.

Let us know if you try it and it works; it would immediately raise the value of all of your FD lenses!

On your specific adapter, sounds like the aperture level is touching the (inside) bottom of the adapter. You can do one of two things, grind down the aperture level of the lens or thin out the bottom of adapter. Since the adapter is cheap and easier to clean, I would thin out the bottom of the adapter with a drumer tool. And cover the thin out area with black paint.