business question

darlene_taylor

I know that this isn't exactly the right forum, but I've been looking around

photo.net and just get more confused. Besides that, you guys are the nicest

forum and put up with newbie questions so very well.

So, as a amateur photographer (trying to make my way in the world today giving

everything I've got- guess what song that's from) what kind of forms do I need

for clients/subjects of my photography. I say subjects because some of them are

not paying me. What kind of contract should I have. Can I post their pictures

online in a gallery? What about model release? What if I give them a cd of

pictures to develop can I say what they can use it for, i.e. personal, not able

to sell...Do you have any examples you can email me? I need this simplified. Do

I have copywrite to the picture even if they're given a cd and waiver to print?

How specific should the contract be?

Again, simplify this thing for me.

Thanks.

1. If you take the picture, YOU own the copyright. Right now, you do not *have* to

register your photos, but it's a good idea. YOU provide your customers a RELEASE to get

prints/products/anything else they want to do w/ the pictures. Be very aware - if you are

giving CDs w/ the files, you are trusting the basic honesty of your customers to not go

beyond their release. If you mean for them to be able to use the files in anyway they wish,

then it's ok. What you will need to do is print a copyright release - we provide one on

paper AND print one directly on the CD/DVDs we give the files out on.

2. If you want the copyright release to cover specific uses, you just need to state it clearly.

That is - Jane Doe has full release to put these pictures on her web page, order

enlargements, or any other PERSONAL (you don't have to capitalize that) use.

3. a MODEL release is what your customers need to sign so you can use their pictures in

your portfolio, studio prints, web page, etc. It'll basically state "I, Jane Doe, give Darlene

Taylor dba xxxxx permission to use my image for promotional, advertising, and display

purposes....." There's samples of both all over the internet - but funny enough, getting

ahold of a Krebbs Business Forms sample is a great way to get a generic photo contract.

You and your subjects need both model & copyright releases to protect yourselves

On the one hand, these can be pretty general, or you can make them so specific, it's a

huge pain in the rear. I like to find a general form, and then make changes as I find what

my needs are.

And regarding online - my wedding contracts specifically include a model release for use

in portfolios, online, and in sample albums (being the purpose, but each isn't specifically

stated). I've actually had a groom ask if they can basically take that clause out, so they

won't be used in samples, or the portfolio. Sure.