-Canon EOS 3 with 28-70/2.8L, 70-200/4L and 1.4X, 550EX speedlite;

-a Carbon fiber tripod;

-Canon DSLR body - 5D or 40D (possible)

I know I bring too many gears but this is a life-time trip for me and my

family. Since I'll travel with my wife and my mon(she's over 60 years-old)this

time, it's not only going to be a photography trip but also a trip for family

and fun/relaxation.

(1) Oahu is the 1st island to visit(since we fly to Oahu first). We'll visit

Hanauma Bay and do snorkling. Also, we may spend some time in Pearl Harbor.

Any other places of interest? I want to stay only 2-3 days in Oahu and spend

more time in other islands.

Any reasonable and safe hotel you can recommend? I probably need to keep my

camera gears in hotel while going snorking. I read safety is a concern in Oahu

and Maui. Where to keep my camera gears in a safe place while snorkling?

(2) I'll spend 12 days on visiting 2 other islands out of the following three:

Kauai, Maui and Big Island. Whick two island would you suggest? I read Kauai

is a must-go. Then, I need to decide between Maui and Big Island. How do I

split the 12 days between the 2 islands?

(3) Please recommend a few places of interest on Kauai, Maui, and Big Island.

Any good books on traveling to Hawaii?

(4) Which hotel would you recommend on Kauai, Big Island and Maui? I'd like to

stay a clean, safe but not too expensive one.

5. Do I need to rent a car in Oahu? I know I need to have rental cars on

Kauai, Big Island or Maui.

I apprecaite your advice and comments.

Thanks.

When my wife and I travel to Hawaii we opt for 2nd class hotels - these are clean but lack some of the amenities..They are usual a block or so from the beach....

These are places we have stayed. a year or so ago.. Most have web sites... but you might be better of at one of the hotel discounters or looking for a room + car bundle from Expedia ...Keep in mind that hotels change hands and management and your mileage may vary...

Oahu - Waikiki -Maile Sky Court Hotel

-Hilton Hawaiian Village

Maui - Hana area - state cabins at Wainapanapa Caves State Park (probably too late to reserve now)

Hawaii - Hilo Area - Uncle Billy's Hilo Bay Hotel (Hawaiian owned- right on Hilo bay

Hawaii - Kona Area - Uncle Billy's Kona Bay Hotel

I would get a rental car on Oahu as well.

On Oahu get out to the north shore. You'll need to rent a car to get there but they're cheap. I can usually find one for $12-$15/day. The north shore is much quieter and low key than Honolulu, with great beaches. The walk out to Ka'ena Point is nice. Well actually the first part is kind of crappy but the point itself is very pretty and is an albatross nesting area. Waimea Bay and Waimea Falls are also great. For snorkeling go to Sharks Cove, not nearly as big as Hanauma Bay but there's everything to see, not many people (unless its a weekend) and no fee to get in there. Don't bother with the Polynesian Cultural Center, it's a ripoff. Take a drive around the island, the Kaneohe (east) side is nice as well. Don't go to the Waianae (west) side.

When you're out snorkeling, definitely leave your camera gear at your hotel. Cars (especially rental cars) get broken into all the time on Oahu.

On the Big Island, Hilo is a cool town. Has an old Hawaiia feel to it and a great open air market. Also easy to get up to the Volcano from Hilo. From the Kona side you can go up to Mauna Kea, also very cool.

Hope this helps. Have fun.

With kids, I'd recommend Oahu and Maui. Maui has a wonderful balance of natural wonders and developed places. Great swimming and snorkelling for the whole family. On Oauh my family greatly enjoyed the Polynesian Cultural Center and the Dole Pineapple Plantation tour. Both were very photogenic and the kids were well entertained. I would recommend having a rental car for both islands.

There's a nice place in Waimea Bay called the Waimea Valley Audubon Center with all sorts of plants and birds--would be great for the kids. Also, be sure to take a walk in old Honolulu, quite different than Waikiki. The drive around the island is great and there used to be some fresh-water shrimp places on the east side of the island. A trip to the cemetery is a must along with Pearl Harbor. The cemetery is quite somber, but there are loads of information about the campaign in the Pacific during WWII. Also, the hike up Diamond Head is rewarding if you're up to it.

I've only been to Maui in addition to Oahu. Lots of fun nature stuff to do on Maui. A snorkling trip to Molokini Crater would be great. Also walk around Lahaina, the Pioneer Hotel (hope it's still around) is the oldest hotel in Hawaii. Haleakala Crater at dawn is a sight to behold and a must for any photographer. Also the trip to Hana is fun, with something like 100 bridges to cross in 30 miles or so.

Personally, I think you've got too much equipment. You'll spend a lot of time just trying to figure out what to use and when to use it. (but that's just me, I like to travel light)

#1 advice: get good guide book(s). Wizard Publications books are excellent - Oahu Revealed, Hawaii The Big Island Revealed, Maui Revealed, Ultimate Kauai Guidebook.

My wife and I spent 18 days last May on Oahu and the Big Island. (First trip). Tons of photos. I strongly recommend that you limit yourself to two islands only (3 max), if you are spending "only" 15 days. The time spent traveling between islands eats up much of your vacation, if you got to more than 2 or 3 islands. And the days fly by!

Oahu has so much to see. North Shore is pretty tame in terms of waves in the summer, but it is very nice and much quieter than Honolulu. Sharks cove is very good snorkeling also on North Shore, but not so great for pics. Waimaea Valley Audobon Center on North Shore was kind of disappointing. Not as nice as it once was, according to the locals. If you want to see some wilder parts of Oahu, head west on the North Shore toward Hidden Beach. Kite sailing, hang gliding, many other "interesting" things to see.

I agree with above regarding downtown Honolulu, Waikiki, Pearl Harbor, Hanauma Bay, Diamond Head, and Polynesia Center - all were great picture opportunities. I think your mom would like Polynesia Center - I did not think it was a ripoff. Lots of things to see, and not too difficult to get around. (You will need to plan to spend most of a whole day, there if you do go.)

Diamond Head hike is not easy - your mom may have trouble. But the views from the top in early morning or late evening are fantastic! But I would not lug all that gear up the trail. If you want a high view without the hike, stop at Pali Lookout.

Big Island has most variety: Volcano is interesting, but to really see lava, and get awesome pics, you need to do the helicopter tour thing. We did that, and although it is very expensive, but it was a thrill of a lifetime. If you can afford it, check out Blue Hawaii helicopters and consider the longer trip that covers both volcano and the North shore of the Big Island that has the sea cliffs. Truly spectacular. You can't get to the places we saw by car or without day long, difficult hikes.

For garden scenes, you cannot beat the Hawaiian Tropical Botanical gardens just North of Hilo. Off the beaten path and not so well known, but very, very nice. Big Island has tons of waterfalls within easy reach. Check the guide books. Rainbow Falls, Akaka Falls are just two that we visited and enjoyed. Very easy to reach. Also the southeast part of the Big Island has some of the wilder "hippy" crowd, like the Northwest part of Oahu. Some of the best surfing shots I got were in the Southeast part of the Big Island. Those people are nuts!

We stayed at a rental house in the town of Volcano while we were on the Big Island. Not too expensive and very relaxing.

If we ever go again we are headed to Kauai. Many veteran travelers to Hawaii that we met on our trip, raved about Kauai. It sounds pretty spectacular also.

Vocano National Park, Volcano House has a lodge and small cabins that you can rent or bring your camping gear and camp at one of two camp sites at Vocano NP.

If you want to photograph the park this is the way to go. you can be there at first light and if the lava is flowing just as it starts getting dark you will see the lava flow as rivers of red.

Haleakala National Park on Maui is another place you want to be right at Sunrise. while on Maui a must see diner show call Ulalena : http://www.ulalena.com/

Two years ago it was the first time my wife ever visited the Islands We decided to cruise the Islands because she wanted to see everything. The good thing is during our 14 day cruise we only had to unpack once, all our food and room was covered for only $1195 per person.

The bad thing is June is not a good time to cruise in Hawaii the only ship in port is NCL's and they are offering no deals during the Summer months

Link to Hawaii cruise photos:

http://riwong.smugmug.com/gallery/2334408_CFUee#122152251_3AsBT

North Shore is kind of quiet during the summer but it's worth the trip just for shave ice at Matsumoto in Haleiwa and Giovanni's shrimp truck.

<p>The "Big Island" Hawai`i itself is an incredible place, with Hawai`i Volcanoes National Park in particular one of the world's most amazing landscapes. You may be able to see lava pouring into the ocean without the expense of a helicopter flight - it depends on what's happening day to day. The <a href="http://www.nps.gov/havo/" target="_blank">National Park website</a> has <a href="http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm" target="_blank">volcano activity updates</a>, as does the USGS <a href="http://volcano.wr.usgs.gov/kilaueastatus.php" target="_blank">Hawai`i Volcano Observatory</a> </p>

<p>Right now, there's some very exciting new activity happening at the summit of Kilauea volcano which is easily visible from park roads and public viewing areas. The summit crater (<a href="http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/cam3/" target="_blank">live image</a>)has very recently become active after many decades of quiet, and there's a chance by the time of your trip that this could be very spectacular indeed! </p>

<p>Other parts of the Big Island have wonderful coastlines, great snorkelling and fascinating historic and archaeological sites. You could check out <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Crhr" target="_blank">this thread</a> for more details of places to visit on the Big Island.</p>

Thanks a lot for all your feedbacks. They're truly informative and helpful. I appreciate your writing your comments on the thread. I knew I can always count on the people on photo.net.

I may end up visiting 3 islands: Oahu, Kauai, and Big Island (or Maui). I have 14 days in Hawaii. How would you suggest I divide my 14 days visiting the 3 islands?

Is Maui similar to Kauai? If so, I prefer to go to the Big Island instead.

Thanks again for your comments.

<h1><b>Way I'd do it?</b></h1>

<p>

<b>2 Islands:</b><p>

<i>5 days Oahu, 9 days Big Island (split between Hilo and Kona)</i><p>

<p>

<b>3 islands:</b><p>

<i>5 3 days Oahu/6 days Big Island(3 days Hilo/3 days Kona /5 days on Maui- stay in Kihei or Wailuku.</i><p>

<p>

Go to Kauai and Molokaii on another trip. <p>

<p>

Kauai and Maui are very different islands, It is tough to choose between them. I think Maui somewhat easier for first timers than Kauai. <p>

<p>

Big Island (Hawaii) very different yet again<p>

<p>

Kauai is much wetter and greener and geologically much older then Maui (last eruption in 1790s on Maui) also has fewer people. Kauai has big sea cliffs (1000m) at Napali, miniature grand canyon at Waimea Canyon, and a couple of really big waterfalls. Out Haena/Hanalei way is very low key 'Hippy' area. Resorts are mostly around Lihue, Princeville, Holoa, and Kapaa. Mostly one story/2 story. Lots of good beaches and ok snorkeling. A couple of spectacular county beaches.<p>

<p>

Maui is much more developed with more hotels & high rise resorts then Kauai. Resorts are in two strips At foot of Haleakula is Kihei-Makena, at foot of West Maui Mts is Lahaina- Kanapaali. On wet side of Haleakala is low key 'old' Hawaii Hana way. Maui is a figure 8 with two high mountains separated by big windy plain. Resorts are mostly in much larger rainshadow dry side (more sun). Wet side is very pretty. Most people just drive to wet side (Hana; Wailuku) on day trips. Maui has great beaches and big volcano (Haleakala) you can drive to top of to watch sunrise/ sunset/ Great sunset over neighbor islands from Lahaina<p>

<p>

Hawaii is big. Really big. - Wet side shared with active volcano (lava hitting the sea) Dryside has many rocky points and sandy pocket beaches. Good snorkeling Mountains 13000' (4000m) often have snow. Big resort area at Wailua/Kona side but not like Maui. Hilo side and Puna are wet side with rugged coastline and big waterfalls, Cook's bayhas arguably the best snorkelling in Hawaii. <p>

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Ok. There might be a change of schedule. We may go in August instead of June. Is August a good season too, comparing with June? Any concerns with Hurricanes? How about temperatures and humidity?

I appreciate your continuing help.

There are no major problems with going to Hawaii in August that I remember. It is beautiful and pretty temperate all year. I would say that the Big Island should be a major destination for you! It has so much to offer. Beautiful valleys, ocean views, a more relaxed pace, a little less touristy! You can see a volcano and hike straight to the lava fields, check out Volcano National Park, Rent a house for less than a hotel (my wife and I rented a sweet 3 bd house in Volcano Village for less than 200 a night!) You can relax on a black sand beach, a green sand beach, and many others to choose from. Hilo is a cool town, but don't forget to spend a couple days in Kona! Kona is a great town, in fact there is much to see and do all along the Kailua-Kona coast. The north side of the island is quiet with nice small quiet towns. You can to to the Mauna Kea Observatory and see some of the most advanced telescopes (some major glass here) in the world. You can also have a snow ball fight. It's actually quite cold. It is also cool to tell people you had a snow ball fight in Hawaii.

Kauai is a beautiful island, but it's actually quite small and there isn't as much to do there as other islands. It's better for the sport enthusiast that wants to avoid crowds, as there is a lot to do like mountain biking, kayaking, SCUBA diving, etc.....

It's worth mentioning that the Big Island has every climate zone in the world except two: Arctic temperatures and Saharan Desert temperatures. IMHO it is one of the most unique places in the world!

Have a Loco Moko for breakfast- .watch your cholesterol climb!

Kona

Best Shave Ice used to be in a green building next to a bar across from the public pier. There are a couple of good shave ice places

Best snorkeling for beginners is at Kahaluu Beach County Park. Best snorkeling period is a the Cook Monument at Kealakekua Bay (kayak to or charter boat access only- unless you want to walk 2 miles from the highway

But what do I know? I'm just a dumb ha'ole from the mainland