Amateur photographer, last minute wedding! Help!!

jeff_link

I'm an amateur photographer. I would never pretend to be a wedding photographer

but a family member is having a small wedding and just assumed I would shoot it.

Fine. I have no lighting. I have a Nikon D200 that I really know. A 28-70mm

Nikon 2.8, a fixed 28mm 2.8, a fixed 50mm 1.8, and an 80-200mm 2.8 zoom. Plus an

sb-50dx, that will not work, or at least ttl through the d200. It's very

overcast here in Texas and the location will likely be indoors, and fairly dim.

This is a small wedding with low expectations but I would still like to get some

nice shots. All this is happening tomorrow, and I got the phone call to shoot

yesterday. Should I go get a flash unit that will work and spend god knows how

much or should I just increase the sensitivity and deal with the lighting

problems that way? Would a tripod or a monopod be appropriate? I own both. I

have never seen wedding pros use them. I guess I could use a monopod relatively

easily. I'm shooting the f100s for back up and the flash works with them but I

want good digital files. Any input on file types to save would be helpful as

well. I plan to save RAW and a large basic jpeg? the last concern is battery. I

have Nikons vert grip and only two nikon batteries. Would a fist full of AA's

get me through if my batteries die? I plan to take maybe 50 shots of groups and

then lots of candids, maybe 300 or more..I have the financial resources to

purchase flashes a strobe and batteries, but may never use any of it again. I

shoot pictures of my children and some wildlife only, so this stuff would be

rarely used in the future. Yes I could rent a flash??Perhaps that would help.

Any input would be helpful and thanks in advance. If a strobe would solve my

problems I have considered purchasing one, instead of a flash. could I get one

and be up to speed by tomorrow?? Yes, full panic has set in.....Thanks again. Jeff

Unlike most of these "HELP" requests, you seem to have a good perspective on where you

are and what you're looking at. I know you're not looking for any beginner, have your

bases covered type responses, so I'll spare you of that.

First, I would take the monopod. It can't hurt. Just set it in the back of the church. If you

use it, great. If not, no big deal.

Second, I can't imagine that the two batteries in the grip wouldn't be enough. I never have

to switch camera batteries during a wedding. If you want to be really cautious, take the

AA's and maybe your battery charger. I doubt you would need them, but again, it can't

hurt.

As far as the strobe/flash thing. I really doubt that you could do the strobe and have it be

functional/effective by then. I would either rent a flash or buy a third party brand if you're

not planning on doing this type of thing again. Then just shoot the flash in TTL with your

camera in manual.

I realize this is oversimplifying and that its not great advise for an aspiring wedding

photographer, but it doesn't seem like that's a goal of yours, so hopefully that will get you

through...

Tony,

That really helps, I was unsure of the learning curve with the strobe and a third party flash might be a good solution. I do need a decent flash on occasions. The party and most of the photography will be in a home or on a porch. If you check up on this post again, let me know if I should white balance for a mix of ambient light and tungsten. I'm assuming I should get a grey card to set my white balance for the changing light? Thanks for your input. Also I have never done any conversion to Black and white, should I pick up a filter or two for the 28-70 to increase the contrast? Thanks again. jeff

First, in the immortal words of Douglas Adams "Don't Panic". Second, I wouldn't buy much in the way of eqq that you won't use again, especially if there would be a learning curve.

Shoot in RAW, and fix what you can in post.

But before you even begin, remindthem that you are not a pro, you had no notice, and you will give it your best.

Then go have fun. If you are relaxed, you will likely take better pictures.

I'm very amateur, and I'd be scared silly too.

Renting a modern SB flash may be useful - there's not that much to learn, you just turn it on and shoot. It's worth doing if you plan to bounce light - otherwise the popup flash on your D200 may be a good enough backup.

You may also want to check out the locations and the schedule of events, plan a bit when and how to shoot, take some light measurements, etc.

Don't do white balance or black and white at the wedding, no point messing with that in the middle of things. Shoot RAW and post-process later. That being said, just shooting a grey card every now and then helps to get accurate color in post-processing, but it's not absolutely necessary. Be careful with mixed temperature lighting, i.e. where there is both flash and tungsten, etc.

You could buy a flash (sb-600 or 800) from BestBuy. If it doesn't give you the results you expected then you could return it a few days later. Doing that wouldn't be very ethical, but it is an option.

Jeff, I'm far from the most experienced voice on this forum, but I'll chime in here.

Monopod could be useful, though I never use one. It's one of those things that I never really incorporated into the way I shoot. If you are comfortable using it, then bring it, because it can't hurt, as Tony said.

For the formals, I would use a tripod if the location permits. Sounds kind of funny, but if you have to basically hang over a railing to get enough working distance, the tripod won't help, but if you can use it, it will probably help during the formals. After the formals, you can pretty safely just stash it in the trunk of your car, because you probably won't need it. Same for the monopod, unless you're really really comfortable moving through crowds with one.

Flash... I would suggest you pick up an SB-800. A good flash is a good investment, and when you have it, you will use it. If you don't want to shell out for one, then see about renting one. It's rather unfortunate that the timeline is so tight, but if you can swing it, I would get one. There are plenty of things to learn with it, but you don't absolutely HAVE to know every trick in the book in this particular situation. It's a smart unit. You will not be using it to it's optimal capabilities, but it will still be much much better than the pop-up flash on your camera.

Black and white conversions in digital should not require you to use filters on your lens. You can... if you are comfortable with switching them quickly... but I wouldn't. Shoot it all in color, and convert what you think will work better as black and white in post processing. This way, you don't have to make that call on the spot while you're shooting.

I'm not a Nikon guy, and I don't know all of the ins and outs of the SB-800, but... I hope this helps, and good luck!

You need a flash. Either buy one or rent one, but the one thing you need to learn how to do is compensate the flash so you have some control over flash exposure. I would bring the tripod and use it if you are not allowed to use flash during the ceremony. You may not have seen wedding pros use one because they have fast primes or IS or VR lenses, as well as the ability to use high ISO successfully.

Get extra camera batteries and extra AAs for the flash. I don't know about your camera, but the AAs that can be used in the camera grip on mine don't last very long and I consider it only an emergency option. You do not need a studio type strobe.

If you feel better shooting RAW plus JPEG, that is fine, but RAW at least. If shooting RAW, leave the white balance on auto and correct it in post. If you are not used to shooting under pressure, such as at a wedding, doing custom white balance, etc., is just going to slow you down, as well as add to the pressure. You should be concentrating on the images, not the technical end. Do not try to fool with filters, for the same reasons.

You say you know your camera, which is good. I just want to repeat what I always tell intermmediate photographers when they shoot a wedding for the first time. DO NOT use aperture priority all day long. Or if you do, keep an eye on the shutter speed, and with Nikons, know where your shutter speed limit is set in aperture priority. Also, use single shot autofocus.

Keep things simple. You will not have time to think about the technical end at a wedding, and as I said above, you should be concentrating on the images.

Since you were put in a tough situation, but b/c it's a family member who got you into it,

I'd propose you get him/her to buy you a SB-800. As you said, you'll probably find some

future use for the unit.

I don't know whether you're getting paid to shoot the wedding, but if not, purchasing or

giving you the money to purchase a flash is the least your family should do.

Get it quickly, though, so you'll have enough time to play around with it and learn the

basics of its operation.

Also, to amplify on what's been said, make sure everyone understands that you're not a

pro wedding shooter, that you're shooting it "for the family," and that you can't be held to

the high standard a "real" pro wedding photographer would be held to.

Guys thank you so much, I feel much better now. Nadine, your input is just what I needed. I might have forgotten to switch to single shot, because I constantly use continuous. I'll check the speed on apeture priority and keep it safe. I do shoot nearly exclusively in A priority mode. I just purchased an sb 600 flash unit, and learning fast. I'll get a diffuser cap and I think I'll be happy. No unnecessary fidgeting with the white balance. Check. I'm going to shoot in Raw + either fine or basic jpeg, just in case. I think I really needed the flash, I feel much better. Thanks again everyone, you really helped me out.....I'll let you all know how it went. food better be good.

Somebody once said "before you loan a friend money, decide which you need more"

More often than not there seems to be a curious parallel between "Family" or "friend" and "shoot their wedding". It always seems to start out with good intentions, but often things seem to turn pear shape when something goes wrong, somewhere.

Often what "have a family/friend shoot the wedding" really means is "we expect a professional job - we expect 'above and beyond the call of duty' - and we expect it for nothing" - all of this can be a steep mountain to climb for an amateur.

It's been suggested by many in the past that the most professional thing you can do is refer them to a professional. At a minimum, put something in writing - if it's not as formal as a contract then at least a page of notes regarding responsibilities, outcomes, expectations etc.