Hi,

I've been using my Canon 400d for the past year and it's a lovely camera but

recently I haven't been very happy with it. I am still a complete amateur and I

try my best to take and edit my pictures to a good standard but I'm finding it

difficult to capture shots with the 400d. Recently I've been contemplating

selling my 400d in exchange for the Nikon d80. I've already worked with Nikons

and found them easy to use but I'm not sure whether I'm doing the right thing

or not. I know there is a massive divide between those canon and nikon lovers

and I'm probably going to get mixed reviews but any advice is welcomed!

I'm split between buying a new lens for my Canon or selling it and buying the

Nikon model, but I don't want to regret buying a lens and then not being happy

with it.

I know this is a very long and confusing post but I appreciate any help and

advice that you all can offer!

Thankyou :)

What features of the D80 do you think will improve your photos? If you can't list them and exactly why, it's not likely to help.

I honestly believe that if you can't take good pictures with your 400D, you won't get any better with a D80 (in almost all circumstances). 400D is a great camera with enough capabilities for 95% of us.

I just upgraded from a 300D to a 5D, and although I do enjoy the better resolution, better wide-angle performance, and extra dynamic range, I don't believe the quality of my pictures has increased significantly because of it.

If you get a chance, look at my site www.mendonphoto.com and tell me if you can tell which galleries were taken with the 5D and which were taken with the 300D.

I haven't been very happy with it"

What is it you are not happy with?

My son has an 400d and he has gotten amazing photos with it. Is it the sharpness of the images, poor exposures, feel of the camera, or what?

What lens do you use? Do you use a tripod? Do you manually focus or rely totally on autofocus? The camera is very capable. Do you shoot JPEG or RAW? What are the in-camera settings? Do you sharpen the images? Likely what you are not pleased with may be just your technique. In that case, switching to a different model or brand will not help anything. It may be a matter or leaning digital cameras...and there is a lot to learn. In that case, a supplemental book or two in addition to practicing, and more practicing may help. We need more to go on.

I totally agree with Aaron. A camera is merely a tool - there are no built in limitations of a

400d, as opposed to a d80, that are preventing you from taking quality images. The

problem could be either at the capture stage or at the post processing stage - either way

a little time and money spent on learning techniques, workflow and editing software would

go a lot further than switching cameras.

A better word processor won't improve your writing one bit, nor will buying a more

expensive hammer make you a better craftsman. Both Nikon and Canon make wonderful

cameras - but only the photographer can make quality images.

I have owned defective cameras ... ones, where no matter what setting and technique was chosen, the result would have a consistent flaw ... this is rare in my experience, but a great reason to get a new camera.

I have owned a camera that didn't have the features and flow I wanted ... a great reason to get a new camera.

Anything else is usually ME. If you have unsteady hands, they'll show up on hand held images w/out IS. If you don't know how to choose a subject or lighting situation .. that will follow you to the new camera. If you haven't learned the basics of lens selection, aperture, shutter speed, and use of camera features ... that will follow you to Nikon also.

So, I'd recommend that you sort out the reason. A picture is 98% the operator and 2% the technology.

"A camera is merely a tool"

Can't agree more with John B....even with a P&S you can take great pictures. Now for specialized things you need an SLR and 400D is a great camera. I'm not planning to replace it soon with anything except with 5D Mark II :-).

I use Canon gear for my personal stuff and I have Nikon at my day job and really both are

great systems. I like certain things more about both systems 1 important thing I do prefer

with Nikon is I seem to get much more accurate color with built in WB which is nice when I

just want to print without any editing.

What lens are you using? what lens was on the Nikon you tried? This makes a world of

difference so I say get a good lens with the Canon and shoot shoot shoot.

Since your an amateur I would bet its not the camera. Practice and get the book

understanding exposure.

My advice is to take a photography course, or at least try reading and applying the lessons learned from some photography instruction books. Buying a different camera, whether from the same or a different brand, isn't going to do anything for you unless your camera or lens is actually defective. If you feel that may be an issue, then post a sample image for diagnosis - be sure to downsize it first.

Quite aside from the issue of what camera to use, is that unless the camera is somehow broken or flawed, the problem is not the camera but your skills. Listen to everyone, and work on that problem before you spend a lot of money to be right back in the same boat.

Are you having ergonomic issues with your rebel? Or is it IQ? Do you have an assortment of high quality Canon lenses?

The Nikon D80 is a great camera for the price. And if Nikon has the lenses you use most often, then it's something to think about. However, I put lenses first, and Canon has a broader range of USM ones.

You may want to wait for the new rebel or a 30D (great price right now) before switching systems. The ergonomics will be better on these bodies as well.

Finally, I would learn as much as I could about your current rebel - it's strengths and weaknesses. Re-read the manual... Then shoot a lot to improve your eye.

Look at it this way...unless your camera or lenses are defective in some way, improve your skills before buying anything.

I could have been a professional bowler many years ago and stopped bowling completely for 5 years until my father asked me to bowl with him. A lot has changed during that time equipment wise. My stuff was considered ancient. Well, my ancient stuff won many tournaments and I even used a ball that was 30 years old and won two tournaments with that one. My father and others couldn't believe what I was doing, because they were using 250 dollar balls and mine cost 50 bucks. I was winning because (1) my timing came back (2) I had great technique and coaching growing up (3) I knew how my balls (camera to you)would react under different oily conditions (like having the right lenses for the job).

">>> but recently I haven't been very happy with it"

You are not happy 400d, because you are not able to capture good images? Or is it the build/ergonomics?

As everyone is saying 400d is an excellent camera, I have it and love it. Its giving me very good images. I am not sure whats wrong with your images? Color?Light?Composition? You need to understand it to fix it. Also I believe that, lenses plays a very important role in sharpness and contrast of images.

">>> I try my best to take and edit my pictures to a good standard"

I would try to avoid post-processing as much as possible, if not, it would be hard improve the basic skills. I would strongly suggest a book called "Understanding Exposure", it may help you master the basics. I would say every amateur photographer should have one copy this.

To me, I should not be post-processing anything beyond "White Balance" and some lens corrections.

Nikon cameras are great, I have used D40x and D80 a bit. I love the ergonomics, build, feel and the intuitive design. Also I have read a lot, i beleive, Nikon makes very good, inexpensive, consumer level lenses than Canon. So if you are not fascinated by Canon's lens line up and you are very disappointed by 400d, then worth trying Nikon. I am sure the Nikon 80 is a great Gadget.

If I had some extra money, at this moment I would order Nikon 300.

I would still say that switching Nikon D80 may not do any magic. I still strongly think mastering exposure, light and composition is very important to capture better images.

Good Luck

chinmaya