NIKON P80 coming out in a month! (priceINjapan?)

ruth_kohn

does anybody know prices injapan, and what shop i could check for japan

prices for the NIKON P80 that will only be available in the states

within the month (according to todays REIVEW IN NYTIMES???)april 24,2008

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF YOU CAN GIVE ME AN IDEAN (ANYBODY OUT THERE)

if it pays to get the new coolpix nikon camera in japan...IS THERE ANY

SAVINGS, AS WELL?

THANKS SO MUCH, r.b.

iruttie@yahoo.com

Depends on where you are from, my experience has been that the prices in the US are the least expensive you will find. I have rarely found electronics cheaper, even items made in Thailand or Singapore are not usually cheaper in Thailand or Singapore.

Ruth,

When I worked for a Japanese company and traveled to Japan often, I always marveled that I could buy (e.g.) a 35mm Canon Rebel or just about any other item for 20-25% cheaper (with exchange rate taken into account) in the U.S. Of course that was back in the days where everyone on the U.S. side of the pond screamed, "Dumping!" I would imagine that even with the recent degrading of the exchange rate on the U.S. side, it would still be cheaper to buy in the U.S.

Ruth - I live in Japan, am currently convalescing in the US for at least another couple weeks. In general, the electronics and photo stuff in Japan can be more advanced than what is exported, or even not exported at all, but price-wise you are usually better off buying in the US unless you are a frequent customer of a given retailer.

Jim - If you frequent the same local camera store (in Japan) they are likely to give you (but never ask for it!) a price break that can be a real whole lot better than anything you get in the US. On the downside, it is appropriate to claim and pay duty on foreign goods you bring back to the US if it exceeds the allowed limit.