Canon refurbished lenses/cameras

ben_kallies

Hi Ben,

i purchased a refurb 85 just after they issued the updated version last year. So far absolutely

no problems with anything. I don't know what Canon is doing to the lenses, but i would

expect a good cleaning and exchange of faulty parts finished by hand calibration to factory

standards. If there would be a problem i'm fully counting on CPS to rectify this instantly.

Best, Mark

I bought a refurbished Canon 10-22mm from Adorama.com. When I received it, it would not let me change the aperture settings and gave me an error message about every 3rd click forcing me to shut off the camera and restart. They gladly refunded my money and I bought the same lens brand new and have had no problems with that one. Im sure most refurbs are fine, but you run the extra risk of it malfunctioning. If you do buy a refurb, buy from a reputable site like Adorama or B&H Photo. If you are unsure about the site, check resellerratings.com. There are a few shady shops out there that will not be so pleasant to deal with if the lens does not work properly.

Hello Ben,

They are in fact as good as new and excellent value for money. Adorama is a good source for Canon refurbished items (B&H has them but it seems not as often) and from them I have bought three Canon refurbished lens and a Canon refurbished 20D body. The warranty is 90 days. They are indistinguishable from a new item, except for a small "Refurbished" sticker on the lens mount cap. I have just bought a Canon 180 f/3.5 L Macro, date code UV (2007) for $1099 which is $140 less than a new one with USA warranty. As to the refurbishment process itself, I really have no idea. Certainly the items I have bought show no sign of having been disassembled. As I said they look like brand new. The availability of refurbished gear varies so if you see something you want go for it, you won't be disappointed!

I suspect refurbished is a nice for "used and returned" or "used, broken and fixed." The diff

between buying a used lens off ebay and refurbished is the refur was probably checked by a

funkie to make sure it works and includes a 3 month warranty. I don't thinl little elfs are busy

cleaning and polishing used lenses to earn the refurb brand.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I bought a 20D/18-55 kit refurb (Adorama) after mine was stolen. Came in a white box, refurbished by Canon, and has worked flawlessly. I believe they inspect them and assure 100% functionality, replace any bad or worn parts, and send them out in white boxes with little gold 'refurbished' stickers on them. Great deal, but no warranty that I'm aware of, and no manufacturer rebates over the lower initial price.

I have bought several Canon's refurbs, including two EOS3 bodies, quite a few "L" lenses and a 1V. They were all good as new, shipped in plain packages (white boxes with black Canon logos) and manuals and accessories.

Those were OFFICIAL refurbs coming from Canon. Some stores are calling refurbs items that they themselves 'test' and reseal. Those are NOT real refurbs so, make sure you ask WHO refurbished the item.

• 3 weeks later...