Speedlite 580ex2 slave -40D inbuilt flash master?

des adams

Al,

The 580s do not have built-in optical slaves, so they will not be triggered by a flash from anywhere, including from the 40D's built in flash.

These flashes can only be triggered two ways. First, by an additional controller (either another 580/550EX flash, or a ST-E2 dedicated flash master, and retains the TTL metering communications between the flash and body, but transmits them via light pulses sent just (imperceptably) before the main flash) or by a PC-Sync signal (which transmits a simple "fire" command, but contains no TTL metering information, and so the flash would have to be set manually)

Check out strobist.blogspot.com for a RAFT of information on using yout 580EX off camera.

You are about to discover the wonderful world of off camera flash - enjoy.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the PC-Sync sugnal can be tramnitted from the camera to the flash either by a cable (PC-Sync to PC sync socket) or via infra-red or Radio Frequency wireless transmitters.

There is also a Canon Off Camera Shoe Cord, which allows you to retain the TTL metering, but is generally restricted to a couple of feet in length. Come people have lengthened theirs winth some success.

Hope this helps.

Guy

ETTLII is a very cool system and you should try to retain int's functionality. It has a learning curve but gets great results once you understand it.

Here's your options in order of cheapest to best.

Get a 2' cord.

Get an STE2 controller.

Get another 580 to act as Key lite and Master use your existing one as ration controlled fill.

Get an STE2 and a 430 as fill.

Get an STE2 and 580 in additon to the 580 you have.

Add a 430 to the avove and you're ready for anything.

Guy and Trebor thanks for your tips which I've printed. Thanks too for the strobist blogsite tip. Having recently purchased the 40d and L lens and 580 mk2 speedlite I'll probably stay with one light until I'm familiar with it and then decided to get which of the solutions you describe. But thanks again for your time and trouble.

No, only Nikon is nice enough to wirelessly control flashes via the body. Canon hasn't caught on yet and makes you buy more stuff.

For ETTL buy a 430 and a $1 foamcore board, bounce your 580 as a master off the board (or a wall or a reflector) and use the slave as main light. (or a 420EX/550EX)

For manual buy $30 cheapie ebay wireless units and get it off camera. Manual flash is not to be feared.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Flash-Remote-Trigger-for-Canon-580EX-430EX-V2s_W0QQitemZ380015705660QQihZ025QQcategoryZ30084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Todd thanks,

Yes I wish I could say I was amazed to find that the 40d's in-built flash is not capable of wireless triggering of the speedlite 580. Makes you buy more stuff is right. My wife has an Minolta film camera and even that has wireless triggering from the cameras inbuilt flash. Thanks for your advice and the link. I'll certainly bear them all in mind. Best wishes, Al

I was very dissapointed when I purchased my 40D and then asked how to trigger the flash off camera with it. I had just sold all my minolta gear which included a wireless flash that the built in camera flash could trigger. I spent a lot more money on my new Canon system and found it couldn't do it. I purchased a 430EX in addition to the 580EXII that I purchases with the camera. Now I can do it. I'm thinking about purchasing another 580EXII to have two lights off camera.

<cite>The 580s do not have built-in optical slaves</cite>

<p>The 580EX does not, but the original poster asked about the 580EX II, which <em>does</em> have a built-in optical slave. But it's of the traditional type, designed to be triggered by a single flash burst (i.e. not compatible with E-TTL). So the end result ("you can't trigger the flash using the camera's pop-up flash") is right, but the reasoning takes a bit of a detour along the way.</p>

<cite>only Nikon is nice enough to wirelessly control flashes via the body</cite>

<p>Minolta had this before Nikon did, several years ago - not sure exactly when, but probably around Y2k ±a couple of years.</p>