isaacallenimages

I know many of you die hards won't share your secrets publically. lol I'm the

same way (sometimes). But I'm heading to the Smokies next week, through

Cherokee, Gatlinburg, (maybe Cades Cove), either back to Atlanta via Townsend,

TN or back through Cherokee and out via Highlands/Dillard, Ga areas en route to

Atlanta. Looking for hidden gems, quiet places, pathways, old barns/buildings,

dogwoods, spring flowers in places where movement and mood can be combined

(water, clouds, etc.). Shooting mainly digital B&W. If you care to post,

please do. If you prefer email, that would be great.

Thanks,

Isaac

Thanks Lou. I've always found Cades Cove to be a gem.

OH... Something I forgot to add to my list, NIGHT PHOTOGRAPHY shots (a rarity). It's going to be full moon next week so capturing rural landscapes, mood lighting, etc. at night would be a true find. I know Cades Cove closes but maybe there are some historic places, overlooks, fences, trees, bridges, parks, etc. someone may know of that would be extremely moody if shot timed exposures at night.

Well, these aren't "hidden" gems but my favorite hike when I was down there was to Charlie's Bunion. I never got any photos to equal the beauty my eyes saw ... perhaps my lack of skill, perhaps the inevitable compromise in going from a 3D format (reality) to a 2D one.

Also Andrew's Bald is supposed to be real nice in Spring, with stuff blooming.

Andrews Bald does have some nice azalea on it, but propbably won't be until well into May before they start blooming at that altitude. Check out the Elkmont area. That area has quite a few old summer cottages in it assuming the park service hasn't knocked them all down. Also check out the Roaring Fork area just outside Gatlinburg.

First thing, stop at the visitor's center and take a look at a book called "The Smoky

Mountains Photographer's Guide" by Bill Campbell. Check out the road to Tremont. At the

end of the road, park the car and take the "Middle Prong Trail". Lots of small scenic waterfalls

and no crowds. Also check out Roaring Fork Motor Trail. But get their early.

Two suggestions.

One, Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest, a stand of HUGE virgin timber a bit south of the park. Been there twice, and both times have only had to share the hiking trails with one other party, who passed quickly. Those virgins are probably 10-15' in circumference, easy.

Two, more for pleasure - Hot Springs, NC. Massage and a soak in a spring-fed hot-tub, after carrying the cameras all over the mountains all day.

There are too many opportunities on your route if anything. Lots of places to spend all day at and spring is HERE. The mountains are coming to life! (Finally).

Theres a lot in the cherokee area. If you go slightly west of there into cumberland gap (WAynesville/Hot springs mentioned above) there is a lot of area that has rarely if Ever been photographed. If you do EXPLORE. The place is settled but practically wilderness. All kinds of opportunities along the pigeon river and the lakes there. Its a shame Ghost town isnt open (http://www.ghosttowninthesky.com/). The only 'resort park' ive ever been too including disney that was amazing rather than an ordeal. lots of cooool stuff to photograph there. Chimney rock park is Amazing too and the photo opportunities are unlimited. Ask the locals too as there are places outside the 'park' that only locals know. If you're going into pisgah and across the parkway there are TONS of waterfalls there, though theyve been photographed to death. There are places in asheville but im keeping those to myself :P.

CAn i suggest ditching the b&w? (other than for chimney rock). Its the COLORs that are mind blowing here. They can be awe inspiring. If you travel i40 through cumberland gap (dont know where you're coming from) some of the vistas are spectacular even from the interstate. Hit one of the exits and explore you'll be stunned especially at sunrise/sunset.