Ricoh million TLR

neil_shell

Hello,

I am looking for a good medium format TLR for my intro to medium format. I have researched many

of the pro's and con's of the yashica, minolta, and the ricoh. I have pretty much come to the conclusion

that I want either a minolta autocord or a ricoh diacord but am not dead set on these cameras. While

looking for one on ebay and keh I have found a ricoh million on keh in ex condition for $80. The only

problem is that I can find no information on it. I know you will probably tell me to go to Greg Erker's site

to find out about it, however the webpage that has the ricoh million info on it does not seem to exist. So

my question is if anyone knows what kind of optics and how reliable this camera is. If you can think of a

better starter camera for me please let me know, but my budget is $100 so that constrains what I can buy.

Thanks,

Neil

If you haven't heard of a camera, it's probably for a good reason! Because nearly all GOOD cameras, of any age, are well-known and sought after.

Ricoh was a cheap-end manufacturer that used lenses of variable quality. If you want an affordable camera with a good reputation, get either a Yashicamat or a Minolta. The older Yashicamat (not 124g) is probably the better buy. Avoid the Yashica A or C models, since they had an inferior lens to the 'mat and D models.

I've never heard of the Ricoh Million. The Ricoh Diacord is a respectable camera, and probably worth getting in the under-$100 range. Other Ricoh TLRs, as Joe suggests, were not very exciting; I would not pay $80 for one without knowing what it was. If you're patient, you can find good TLRs in your price range: I got a Yashica Mat 124 (not the G) for $70 or $80, and you can find early postwar X-synch Rollei Automats for close to $100.

The "Million" was just another version of the Ricohflex.

The good cameras from Ricoh were the Dia, the Diacord, and the best one of all, the Ricohmatic 225 (if you can find one).

The Ricohmatic 225 is a very nice camera, very similar to the Minolta Autocord, but superior to it in many ways. It has the same flat spool film path, but also has internal baffling similar to a Rolleiflex. It has the same lever focus, but on both sides (ala Diacord) - the lever focus on the Ricohs do not typically get stuck as on the Autocords. The Ricohmatic also can accept 35mm film as well as 120. The Ricohmatic and Diacord models also have a built-in flash hotshoe, a feature lacking on most other TLR cameras, or most any camera from the 1950's. The Ricohmatic and Diacord also have a neat feature - closing the finder automatically locks the shutter button. Lenses on the Diacord/Ricohmatic models are top notch Tessar variants, and I have found them to be sharper than the Yashica-Mat lenses, although this may be a result of the flatter film plane.

Interesting. I didn't even think about the ricohmatic 225 as a possible camera but I think I

will now. I have pretty much made up my mind that I'll get a ricoh as it seems difficult to

find an autocord for under $100 with the focusing lever still attached. Thanks for all the

replies.

Thanks,

Neil

When I had a Yachicamat 124G I thought its lens was excellent. My problems came from its mechanical build. The Yashica TLR cameras I have noiw inlcude a 635, an A and a 44. It's true that the lens on the A doesn't have as many elements but if you stop down even a little you will get an 8X10 which is very hard to match even with expensive 35mm equipment. Some people like the Yashicamat 124 because it has more metal and less plastic but still has a decent lens. My Minolta Autocord is very nicely made, has a good lens and will take either 120 or 220 film. Most of my medium format shooting is now done with Bronica SLR cameras. If I want to travel light I will use an SQ-A with an 80/2.8 lens and a waist level finder. It isnlt quite as light as a Yashica or Minolta TLR but is versatile and easy to use.

What I was told is that the lens on the yashica A and C are both three element and because of

that the sides of the neg are a little soft. I think it would be fun to have a camera like that

just for portrait photos. This weekend there is a camera expo in carson, Los Angeles and will

hopfully grab a ricoh there.

Basically, the rule of thumb with the Yashica TLR's is this:

If the lens says "Yashikor", it is a 3 element.

If the lens says "Yashinon", it is a 4 element (Tessar design).

Some models, such as the 635, came with both lens versions, so you can't always go by the model name, you need to see what the lens is.