5D improved focusing

adrian_lowe

I have recently updated the firmware in my 2007 5D, and the most obvious change

is a definite improvement in focus. Don't ask me how , but it is real, its

certainly isn't imagined. Now then, I believe that there was no amendment to

focusing function in the update so how has it happened i wonder? This is all to

do with autofucus, I haven't had to bother with focusing manually since the

update, images are sharp without any correction from me.

Has anyone else had the same experience?

A.

Have you changed anything else? Are you saying that there is an improvement of the actual sharpness or its proformance in speed and low light ability. If it is with sharpness, I would suspect a change with "in camera sharpen" setting.

Are you useing JPEG or RAW? How are you evaluating this change?

Sorry for all the questions, but I find your statement interesting.

Jason

About a month ago, I sent my 5D to Canon to have them clean the sensor. It came back working noticeably better too. I never had a focus issue, but I found my write times long, typically about 4-5 seconds per RAW/JPG image, and the shot was not displayed on the monitor until after the write was completed. Now, the image pops up in under 1 second and it only takes about 3 seconds write the file to my card.

Canon also did not charge me for the cleaning, which was really nice considering the camera's warranty expired a while ago. Thanks Canon!

I noticed my LCD screen improved. Colors are more neutral. Others have mentioned it too. As for AF improvement, I'll double check. I do use manual focus with EE-S screen so it was great already.

I did shoot my sons basketball practice last week with a slow zoom in ai-servo and I had a lot of keepers. More than usual with that lens actually. I thought maybe my timing and technique were improving, but maybe you are on to something. :)

The latest (as of 24 April 2008) firmware update for the 5D on the Canon USA support site is

EOS 5D Firmware Update Ver. 1.1.1 (5.08 MB) of 03/18/2008.

There are also some drivers etc. for various Microsoft operating systems.

I've owned a 5D with only the 1.1.1 firmware.

Is it possible that the pervious firmware 1.1.0 in your camera had a bit up corruption or

some custom setting that you had entered into the camera?

If either, when you updated to the current firmware, it over wrote the corruption or reset

some type of custom function that you had entered.

Either way, you're getting more accurate auto focus.

ERR, some of you are really going off at the deep end here,

I shoot RAW, I refer to sharpness as accurate focusing (remember the terms that we used befor the advent of digital?). I said that I used a firmware update i.e the latest one from canon, downloaded from Canon. Version 1.1.1

How am I evaluating the change? I'm using my eyes.The camera focuses far more accurately since the update, (could be coincidence I suppose).

What have I changed ? Nothing.

In_camera sharpening? I can't see how that would be relevant,I shoot RAW and I don't use the LCD screen in the camera as a guide.

All I asked, was if anyone else had had a similar experience.

Well this is a forum--an place for open discussion of EOS gear--so you should expect

people to "discuss" related topics and bounce ideas and experiences off one another. You

do not "own" or control this thread. It belongs to us! So if we want to discuss other

"benefits" of the a 5D firmware update we will sure hell do it!

I'd think "going off the deep end" is more akin to discussing religion or politics...

Incidentally the LCD of my 5D improved with more neutral colors after the 1.1.1 update.

AF seems exactly the same, excellent.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

OK. Don't take it personal.

Just find it an odd thing to see after a firmware update (suggesting it had anything to do with firmware). My 5D has not been updated and auto focus very well. Have yet to see a need to correct it with manual focusing. I do use center point only. If you really did have a change then I might would think there could have been a glitch in the original firmware.

>>>"In_camera sharpening? I can't see how that would be relevant,I shoot RAW"<<<

It would have mattered if you shot JPEG. Sorry, did not know.

I guess to answer your actual question...I have not updated mine(only had it a few months) so no.

I guess all I was trying to understand was, did it really improve anything, or is something different that just makes you think it did.

Jason

Re: Puppy Face, I noted the final sentence in your reply , and it seems close to my own experience.

The reason I mentioned the firmware issue here was because asking Canon was a waste of time.... I can see that something has changed either by the installation of the new firmware, or purely by coincidence. Using my 24-70mm was a real pain, I always had to check focus manually, now I find that I can trust the auto focusing, and its wonderful, I have found a new enthusiasm and I don't feel like smacking the camera up against the wall.

I would suggest that it is o.k (and polite) to assume that people do know what they are talking about, which is why we use this forum.

Finally re: threads,ownership and religion...I reckon religion and photography (to me anyway) are one and the same, along with Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Did I offend anyone? I hope not I was just curious.

There are no custom functions selected.

Nadine: Thankyou for your comment, interesting what you say about the bluish tinge on the LCD. Mine was noticably improved . Just goes to show that no two items are identical.... So does that mean that there is an organic element to digital? Could be the subject of a new thread?

My LCD before 1.1.1 was extremely warm--a terrible yellowish tint.

"You may have enabled the extra center focusing points in the custom function. That does

improve focusing on the 5D."

It certainly does, but only during AI servo. One shot doesn't use the extra 6 points.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

People have reported that their LCD on the 5D were yellowish when it first camera out (I think). The first 5D I had did have a yellowish LCD. Then I had to get another one (long story for another day), and that one (the one I have now) has a bluish tinge. Not strongly pronounced, but noticeable if you ever saw the yellowish ones. I did not notice any change after the firmware upgrade.