Help with this pose

pixie studios

I think the pose is great as is - I would just crop it in more off the top and maybe the bottom. The main thing is capturing the baby's face/expression. In this pose you use the mom as a prop, which I do often, but the viewer can still see the joy in her face as well.

Alison,

I'm with Emily on this one. I like the pose too. It's refreshingly different than the "standard" one. It would work nicely as a square print cropped at the mother's waist. One thing you've done here that is good, whether intentional or not, is to have mom stretch her neck and look way up. This approach takes care of the extra weight at the neckline that is often a problem after pregnancy. I usually shoot this pose pretty much perpendicular to mom and child, yielding profile views and with the camera positioned horizontally and rotated counterclockwise to make it look as if the baby isn't elevated so much. That works best with a fairly flat lighting near the camera axis for me. I'm sure there are other approaches, such as yours, that work just as well.