Epson Velvet or fibre-base gloss paper

Hello. Until now I have been printing my black & white prints on Epson Velvet Fine Art paper, which I have

really liked. I recently had an exhibition in which two photographers commented to the gallery owner that

my prints looked a bit flat. Now, having looked at these photographers' web sites I'm not sure I should

trust their judgement, but I got myself samples of Crane Museo Silver Rag and Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl

to try.

Silver Rag was very cream in colour, and I didn't feel it would be suitable as a universal paper for both

warm and cool-toned images. The Fine Art Pearl looked very snappy, but the white is very white, almost

brash looking. Also I missed the surface texture of the Velvet Fine Art. Also is it difficult to frame Fine

Art Pearl, trying to find such bright white acid-free mats?

I sell prints either framed, or more usually wrapped in cellophane with a backing board, which I assume

the purchasers just hand to a framer. So I doubt they will hold a print in their hands, and view it without

anything in front of the print's surface.

So I'm confused. I like Velvet for its subtle texture and general look and feel, but Fine Art Pearl seems

snappier. I wonder if customers would be drawn more to the Fine Art Pearl's greater contrast.

What are your thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Jonathan

The Gold Fibre Silk is more of a semi-matte paper than a gloss. It will give you more pop in your

prints than the Velvet but not as much as the Silver Rag. Another to try is the Hahnemuhle Photo

Rag Pearl or Innova Ultrasmooth Gloss. The ultrasmooth gloss is the highest gloss, almost too

high for many. The photo rag pearl is my favorite and I print on all these papers all day long. It is

not a very high gloss but enough to get a very deep black. Similar to Epson luster texture.

One thing to do is get sample packs of each and go to town by printing the same image on each on

to compare and contrast. If you need any more advice give a call.

I am in a somewhat similar situation. Love EVFA and HPR. Trying out HFAP and the Baryta papers. If you find the white in HFAP brash then the Ilford Gold will be even brasher. The prints will definitely have more pop. My current assessment is that certain b/w images work better on these papers than on matte papers. Behind glass, it depends on lighting. In a proper gallery with well set light and framed with anti-reflection glasses, these papers can look really well. Under average conditions things will balance out a bit due to higher reflection from the semi-gloss prints. Ideally I would like to have both options available at the same time. Oh well...

It's probably too white for your tastes and it's way too expensive (imho) but I've made

prints with Epson's new "Exhibition Fiber" paper and my 3800 printer that blew me away.

To my eye, they're the closest thing I've seen to a B&W darkroom print coming out of an

inkjet printer.

I've gotten a bit addicted to it. I tried going back to Ilford's Pearl and Premium Luster (both

are much cheaper) but ended up back with the new - and expensive - Epson EF paper.

I do think some images will still do better printed on something like Velvet Fine Art paper

but some may benefit by the "pop" of a more glossy, contrasty paper. I guess that can go

with one's style of photography. But it's really eye-catching stuff.

Exhibition Fiber is very much in the contrasty category and it's also very white. You might

want to try it - just get ready for sticker shock on the price. But if you like the look of that

kind of paper at all, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well it does - at least with

Epson's newer inks.

• 6 months later...

I would like to ask a question. I have bought a box of epson Exhibition fine art paper- the fiber paper). I love it. I had

had

8 by 10 samples and there was no problem. I bought a box of 13 by 19 paper. and it has a curl like warped section that

runs the long way about 3/4 of the way through long way of the whole batch, almost as if it was standing on its side and

it kind of sagged and developed a warped strip through all of it all 25 sheets. The surface is not damaged in any way.

Does anyone know if I lay it flat with a light weight flat weight over the batch if it will flatten that area? Could it be

defective? Will the moisture from the ink cause it to relax? Will moisture and time allow it to "relax"? I am not sure if I

could print them now and corner mount them and the warped strip (about 3 inches) would flatten. The prints would be

corner mounted, not dry/cold mounted and they would be over matted to 3/8th inch of the image area.

Has anyone else had this issue with this or any other paper? (my next choice is Hahnemuhle Baryta paper as it is a

little thicker. I was surprised to see this in such expensive paper. I did not see the in the 8 by 10's

I know if i were going to cold mount them this would probably not be a problem as I expect them to print ok since the

roller in my 2400 will hold it flat. I only corner mount my prints or use archival overlapping strips so if the warped section

does not flatten, it would still be there. But what about after they are printed?

I would take a chance on printing one or two to see what happens but i hope (smile) to return them to B and H in NYC

when I visit there next week.

any ideas?

Thanks,

mark